DOE's Solar Instructor Training Network: Building Today's Clean Energy Workforce
IREC Annual Meeting
Workforce Development: “Building
Today's Clean Energy Workforce”
5 – Year Cooperative Agreement
“The primary goal of this project is to help facilitate and
support the creation of a well-trained and highly-qualified
solar energy workforce of sufficient size and diversity to
meet the projected needs of this country by working closely
with the nine Regional Training Providers (RTPs) and
necessary stakeholders in a highly-coordinated effort.”
“To promote the development of quality training at the local
level to meet solar market needs.”
1) Provide training where training is needed.
2) Expand the types of training currently being offered at each RTP to
include code and building officials, inspectors, and firefighters.
3) Ensure that the type of training programs offered at each RTP is
consistent with industry standards, and establishing a mechanism for
continually updating training that mirrors changes in solar technology
4) Ensure training programs do not out-grow industry demand -- in
other words, seek responsible growth.
Guiding Principles Continued
5) Integrate solar training standards and curriculum into the existing
educational and workforce infrastructure.
6) Provide a forum where each RTP can flourish in a way that builds on
7) Provide a means for the RTPs to share their strongest qualities among
the group including the sharing of innovative training practices.
8) Establish strong ties among the training providers and workforce
investment boards (WIBs) and agencies.
Interstate Renewable Energy Council