Using Simple Sentences with Clauses as Modifiers and Complements
I. Learning Objective
• Use simple sentences with clauses as modifiers and complements
II. Subject Matter
A. Topic: Using Simple Sentences with Clauses as Modifiers and
B. References: PELC II 12.2
Over the Ocean Skillbook, p. 8
C. Materials: charts, pictures
A. Preparatory Activities
1. Review: Game: “Sentence Relay”
a. Form two groups with 5-10 members
b. Distribute two sets of envelopes containing 10 sentences.
c. At the signal “Go,” the first player of each group reads the first
sentence, and underlines the modifier and complement in the
d. The player posts the sentence on the board and goes back to
the starting line. The second player takes his turn and so on.
e. The group that finishes first with the greatest number of correct
answers wins the game.
Examples of Sentences:
1. Many new buses passed by the highway.
2. The ducks quack every time they see strange animals.
3. The Grade IV class visited the famous residence of Jose
4. Little Mary helped Mother set the table.
5. The baby came home from the hospital.
Have you ever told your mother you love her? When was the
last time you said “I love you” to your father or mother?
Let pupils sing a birthday song.
Value Focus: Family Solidarity
B. Developmental Activities
Show a scene of a birthday party and present the dialogue.
Situation: Ben, Liza and Berting are getting ready for their
SCENE: At the Mendoza’s home.
Ben: I’m very excited for the day that our mother will
celebrate her 50th
birthday. I want her birthday
to be the best.
Liza: How do you plan to do that? I, too, would like her
to have a wonderful day with the whole family,
whom she will love to see.
Berting: I think we should give her a party that she will
remember for the rest of the her life.
Ben: Let’s make a list of her favorite food which she
always prepared during her past birthdays.
Liza: That sounds like a good idea. I’m looking forward
to that day.
2. Comprehension Check-up
Who is going to celebrate her birthday? How does Ben feel while
getting ready for their Mother’s birthday? What does Liza say about
their Mother’s birthday? How about Berting? etc.
What kind of a family is the Mendoza family? Do you like their
3. Analysis and Discussion
Let’s study the sentence:
Her favorite food was always prepared during her past
* What is the subject of the sentence? (food)
* What clauses are found in the sentence? (Her favorite
always prepared during her past birthdays)
* Which of the clauses acts as a modifier? complement?
How can you identify a simple sentence with clauses as
modifiers and as complements?
C. Post Activities
Supply modifiers and complements for the following sentences.
1. ____________ man carries a bag ___________
2. ______ Girls Scouts helped the poor _________
3. ________ teacher attended a party __________
4. ________ mother prepared a party __________
5. _________ visitors appreciated the program____________
2. Enrichment Activities
Make five sentences using clauses as modifiers and
Ex. The lovely lady wears a suit that is made of wool.
Use the following clauses to make simple sentences with modifiers and
1. ________ children eat candies ______________
2. ________ farmers plant rice ________________
3. ________ doctors treat patients _____________
4. ________ players practiced ballgames ________
5. ________ babies need milk _________________
Write 5 sentences using clauses as complements and modifiers.