For our final product, we have decided to base our final product will be mystery crime film and
so we created a word cloud out of it. The word cloud above, I searched for crime genre and
added the information from three websites, the script lab, Wikipedia and Film site. After I
added all the information to the website WordItOut, where it creates word clouds for you, I
clicked on generate and it gave me something similar to this. We had the option to regenerate
if we didn't like the layout and that's what I did until I found one I liked best.
Our film concept:
• Our concept is a “who done it?” style crime thriller. According to Todorov’s
theory, it would follow this structure:
• Equilibrium – A girl is walking home going about her own business.
• Disruption – The girl gets kidnapped by a mysterious, unsuspected figure.
• Recognition – A detective is appointed by the distraught father to find the
• Repairing – The detective uses forensic evidence and his instincts to work
out the villain’s plot and find his secret hiding place.
• New-equilibrium – The detective finds the girl – but does he get there in
Opening scene of the film
• Emily goes to secondary school, year 9
• She finishes school late but somebody is following
• Federich stalks Emily home
• Federich closes in on her
• She goes down a dark alley
• Emily gets abducted
Sir Ben Kingsley
Main Characters –
• Detective – Ryan Edwards, to help investigate why Emily has been
• Father – David Jackson- Becomes sadden and upset, as he vows to
find her, using as many resources possible.
• Emily’s neighbour- Vanessa joseph- Becomes suspect as she was
jealous of Emily.
• Mystery kidnapper- Jack Samuels (Emily dad’s best friend), does not
become suspect, until later in the film.
• Emily mother (single mother)- Charlotte Watson, Emily was on her
OTHER CHARACTERS- WE DO NOT SEE
in the opening scene -
Low skirt to suggest her innocence
And how she represents herself in the
Her lipstick subverts the idea of her
Innocence as the colour red
suggests danger however, she is not
wearing any other sort of makeup
which again makes her seem pure
Her top button being done up
shows that she follows rules and
that she is a smart girl.
Her hair in a neat plait
which reinforces her purity.
This is the bag the character
will be wearing.
Suggests she’s vulnerable
Shows her sex appeal and that
she wants to grow up quick.
Characters: As Emily is walking home,
there is a suspicious figure following
her, she is not aware of her
surroundings as her whole focus is on
Character: The young girl will be walking
on her way to her mums house as it is a
Monday, she will be wearing her uniform
and she will be walking alone. Emily
subverts the stereotypical school girl as
her uniform is very smart but her lipstick
makes her look appealing. The shot will
be of her on her phone with her bag in an
Lighting: The lighting will be very dark,
this will prevent the audience from seeing
Emily’s surroundings or the kidnapper’s
identity. This will create mystery and
tension for the audience.
Settings and Mise-en-scene
Our next location will be shot on a
quite, back-road called Phillip street.
Republic pictures are a subsidiary to paramount pictures. They have a
history with crime films and this is why it relates to us. In the ranking
according to the-numbers.com, they are 9th.
When using the-numbers.com it tells us that the republic production is
ranked 9th in the world distributors and on crime films.