Business Model Design
By Vivien Ní Dhuinn
• Founded 2009 in San Francisco
• Founder – Robyn Sue Fisher MBA
• Objective – To find a new way to make old-fashioned Ice-Cream.
• Business Idea – Perfecting the process of Ice-cream making via the use of LNA2
(Liquid Nitrogen) and Prototype Double Helical Triple Patented Machine.
• Product – The Smoothest, Tastiest Ice-Cream. Free from preservatives and
additives. Made to order in 60 to 90 seconds.
• Outlets – 4 - First one opened in Hayes Valley 2011.
• Application of Science - A New way to make old
fashioned Ice-cream. Liquid Nitrogen creates smaller ice
crystals – smoother ice-cream.
• Enriched Customer experience – the Smoothest Tastiest
• Healthy – Free From preservatives and additives.
• Novelty – Unusual flavours. Nitrogen Vapour. Made in
under 90 seconds. Watch it being made
• Locally sourced raw materials
• Nostalgia – Retro Feel.
• Status/Exclusivity – Designer Ice-cream costs more.
Luxury. Limited outlets. Creates attraction.
• Catering – Parties, events, corporate occasions.
• Eco-Friendly – Recycled shipping containers as outlets.
• No Franchise – Control of Quality. Machines not
available for sale.
• Ongoing R&D.
• Community Involvement
• Hip place to work
• Hip place to hang out. Tourist attraction.
• Niche Market - Ice-cream lovers of all ages – from 3 to 103.
• Local Market – regulars, repeat business, customer loyalty.
• Health conscious – ice-cream must meet the free-from, fresh ingredients
• Mid to upper income segment. Demand quality and consistency of taste.
• Tourists – A must go and see place. Create a memorable and enjoyable
• Catering Market – Corporate, Parties & Events.
• Owner hands-on and visible. Started from back of Radio Flyer Wagon.
• Trust. Owner shows obvious passion for ice-cream.
• Promises the best tasting and smoothest ice-cream on earth.
• Made to order ice-cream for individual tastes. Watch as your ice-cream is made.
• Encourages customer feedback. Wants happy customers.
• Free-from Ice-cream.
• Innovative recipes for mouth-watering experience. Dedicated Chef.
• Consistency of flavour and quality ensures repeat business.
• Ongoing R&D –improve customer experience.
• Community Involvement – Donations - Class Field Trips
• Life savings went into R&D.
• Liquid Nitrogen.
• Ongoing design costs – new flavours, improved performance. New Brrr™ machine.
• Fixed Costs – Salaries, utilities, business overheads; insurance, accounts, tax
• Maintenance and updating of equipment and outlets.
• Six Specialist Engineer Contracts.
• Expansion. Purchasing or leasing of sites for new outlets.
• Advertising and Marketing.
• Availability of liquid nitrogen.
• Intellectual input of owner and chef. R&D. PR.
• Specially trained engineers to create and maintain Brrr™ Machines.
• Reputable and Reliable Partnerships for supply of raw ingredients. Local growers.
• Staff Training for operation of machines.
• Cash Flow
• Investment Capital / Investors /Mentors
• Making Ice-Cream to order using specialised equipment.
• Sourcing Quality local suppliers of raw materials.
• Creating Recipes
• Operating Brrr™ Machine. Maintaining and improving. R&D
• Staff Training.
• Customer Service. Maintaining customer relations.
• Catering at parties and events
• Sourcing and refurbishing old shipping containers for use as outlets.
• Website development. Blog/Social Media Newsletters. Tweeting.
• PR for Branding. interviews, demonstrations, media.
• Suppliers of Liquid Nitrogen
• Suppliers of Raw Materials – Dairy supplies, local farmers and producers.
• Chef – Robyn Lenzi
• Specialist Engineers
• Web Developers
• Digital Marketing Company
• Merchandise Suppliers
• Financial Advisor/Banks
• Business Mentors