Table of Contents
1 • Windows Phone 8 offers
2 • WP Consumer Ratings
3 • Shared Windows Core
4 • 8 New Platform Features
4.1 • Latest and Greatest Hardware
4.2 • Internet Explorer 10
4.3 • Native Code
4.4 • NFC Feature
4.5 • Wallet Experience
4.6 • Nokia Map Technology
4.7 • WP8 for Business
4.8 • New Start Screen
5 • Backward Compatability
6 • Metro Apps;now just Apps
7 • WP7 and WP8 minimum device requirements
8 • WP7.5 and WP8 feature and performance differences
9 • Passbook vs WP Wallet Hub
10 • For Developers
1. Windows Phone 8 Offers
• More personal;
Expression of the user.
2. Windows Phone Consumer Ratings
Top 3 of Highest Rated Cell
phones on Amazon.com
Top 5 out of 6 Highest
Rated Cell phones on
Amazon.com are WP8.
Top 7 out of 9 Highest
Rated Cell phones on
Amazon.com are WP8.
3. Shared Windows Core
The most captivating feature of new WP8:
Shared Windows Core between Windows & Windows Phone 8
This technology provides identical user
experience by how applications
• Access data.
identical across both Windows 8
and Windows Phone 8
End Result for the developer:
• Scalability and deployment of apps will
be executed at a much faster pace.
End Result for the consumer:
• Crossover experience between PCs,
notebooks, tablets and smartphone.
b) Screen Resolutions:
WVGA (WP7) 800x480, 15:9
WXGA 1280x768, 15:9
720p 1280x720, 16:9
4. 8 New Platform Features
a) Multi Core Chipsets: Dual core or more.
User experience will be much better compared to single core.
Battery life and performance will enhance.
Apps will look perfect on
every WP, invisible to user
c) Removable microSD Support: Both PC and Phone
Exchange data between PC&Phone, Phone-Phone etc.
User will not need to pay more for built-in storage.
4.1. Latest and Greatest Hardware
4.2. Internet Explorer 10
Block malicious websites in real time
compared to WP7.5.
2x HTML5 feature support compared to
IE 10 Differences between WP8 and Windows 8
Elements demand a truly big screen or a windowed
• won’t fly,
• nowhere to drag and drop or
• open a new window to.
Catch web developers off- guard:
• Lack of in-line video
• Handful of touch inputs
• Level of file access.
Website authors can write once, test on their PCs and the same will work on WP.
4.3. Native Code
• Common platform for WP and
• Native Game Development platform
based on DirectX.
• Game developers can write the
same game for both.
WP8 , will be easier with Native Code.
4.4. NFC Feature
• Benefit for both the end user and developer.
• NFC support is not limited to phone.
• The shared Windows core enables NFC
scenarios between phones, laptops, PCs.
Secure Element (SE) is in SIM.
Since SE is in SIM, Microsoft has been establishing new partnerships with operators.
First telecom operator partner in Europe is Orange, we will see who will be the partner in Turkey.
Since these device partners will support WP8,
we expect to have NFC feature support on
these devices as well.
4.5. Wallet Experience
The most complete Wallet Experience on any Smartphone.
Third party services will be able to integrate
to Windows Wallet.
One place to go to
• See balances
• Fly info
• Pull coupon to save
• Supports Secure NFC
• Different than Google Wallet since the SE is on phone device.
• Will work with ISIS next year.
4.6. Nokia Map Technology
• Great Global NAVTEQ map data
• Offline map support
• Map control for developers
• Turn by turn Directions
Much better detail and complete local info in maps across the globe by NAVTEQ map data.
Works offline! Perfect for when travelling to poor internet connectivity locations!
Get the directions and store on the SD card.
4.7. WP8 for Business
• Trusted shared Windows core
• Encryption and Secure Boot
• LOB App Deployment
• Device Management
• Familiar Office Apps
Safety of corporate data will be provided by BitLocker Technology which encryptes
the contents of the device.
WP8 will allow IT administrators to sign and deploy apps in their own way.
Device management and familiar office apps will be one of the reasons for WP to be
4.8. New Start Screen
Not a platform feature but an end user feautre which will have the platform implications.
The user is in total control of the Live Tiles:
• More Beautiful,
• More Customizable,
• More Personal.
User is able to set the size of any tile, can pin any tile to StartScreen and offer more
5. Backward Compatibility
No WP7 Upgrade for WP7 Owners:
A consumer who just bought a new WP7 phone will not be able to upgrade to WP8.
• Apps written in the native WP8 code will not
be backward compatible with WP 7/7.5. So
the best and most recent apps will not work
on older devices.
• However, all apps written for WP7.5 will
work on WP8.
6. Metro Apps – now just Apps
Metro apps are touch-screen-friendly apps written especially for Microsoft's WinRT
Metro apps, which are sold in an online store much like
the Apple app and Android Google Play stores, are
expected to sell for $1.49 and up.
Most of the Enterprise applications will be
replaced by Metro Style based applications
and the more Microsoft’s in-house
applications based on Metro,
• the better,
• bug fixed and
• full of features
it would be.
Metro Apps are no longer called with "Metro", just Apps;
but features are kept the same.
8. Differences between WP 7.5 and 8
Click here for DEMO.
• Improved multitasking on WP 8,
• Improved application loading speed,
• Apps developed on WP7.5 should be compatible with WP8.
• Form Factor changes such as Touch Resolution, Smaller Screens should be considered.
Even though users will have access to all previously
developed apps, Microsoft is hoping that developers
would take advantage of WP8 features.
Such as new Skype app for WP8 will let users answer
ring-throughs as they would a cellular call.
NFC and Wallet features are also new to WP.
Wallet app is very similar to Apple’s Passbook feature.
9. WP8 Wallet Hub vs iOS 6 Passbook
Passbook WP Wallet Hub
Lets you load:
Movie Tickets and more into a single place.
Scan a barcode for services –
Scan a Code or Tap Device for services –
Lets you load:
Movie Tickets and many more,
Credit and Debit cards into a single place.
Integrates deals from vendors and works
across applications for mapping and other
more extensive functions such as tying bank
apps to the Wallet hub.
More local cards such as «Library Card» will
also be able to be added to Wallet Hub.
Integrates deals from vendors.
Tap + Send
For the next iPhone, bluetooth powered wave
and pay system has been a talk.
Either way, every commonly used technology
should be supported for customer convenience.
• Maximizing Developer Investments
• Compatibility WP7 runs on WP8.
• Performance WP7 and WP8 apps will be compiled in cloud.
• Convenience Visual Studio 2012 to build Windows 8 and
WP8 and WP7.5 apps
• Developer’s Choice
• One App model, 3 techs.
1. XAML with C#/VB code
2. Native C++/C code
3. HTML5 browser control
10. For Developers
• Share common code between WP8 and Windows8.
• Simplifies porting apps between iOS/Android.
• Take Advantage of native open source libraries.
• Incoming VoIP calls feel like any other call.
• Integrates with built in phone features
• VoIP apps continue to run in background.
• Available to all devices.
• Apple’s Siri like application is now supported.