At the end of the report, we will be able to:
• know all about dance and rhythmic activities
• distinguish the different rhythmic activities covered
in P.E. 2
• deepen our knowledge regarding the Philippine
• have a short quiz right after the presented topics
It refers to bodily
responses to any type of
that will provide leeway to
the people to satisfy their
need for self-expression.
It promotes national
habits, customs and
beliefs of the people
all over the world.
It give opportunity to develop
communicate, mingle and socialized
with other people. It is also prepare
the person to basic dance
steps, positions, movements and
Has sustained its popularity
opened for the enjoyment of
the public. Anyone can enjoy
ballroom dancing since there
are no restriction to gender
and age. Women can best
Philippine Folk Dances
hand, the Philippine
has a “The Pearl of
the Orient” boast of a
variety of Filipino
WHAT ARE FOLK DANCES ?
Traditional dances of a certain land which
were evolved naturally and spontaneously in
connection and experiences of the people. The
traditional dances handed down from
generation to generation that describe the
traditions, beliefs, occupations and ways of life
and characteristics of people living in a certain
place through body movements.
Values Derived from Studying
Philippine Folk Dances
1. Strengthen patriotism and Nationalism
2. Appreciate the aesthetic value of
Philippine folk dances
3. Preserve the Filipino heritage through
4. Promote the Filipino culture through
5.Gain health posture through graceful
and rhythmic coordination of body
6. Provide a healthy form of relaxation
Brief History of the Philippine Folk
For centuries, dancing and singing have been
the principal past time of the
- They considered dancing as
- During the Spanish period, dancing played an
important part of the social activities of our
- Kumintang, oldest recorded activity
among the Christianized Filipinos.
Fandangos, Lanceros, Rogodon, Cariños
a and Curacha.
- Philippine Folk Dances are blended with
the Western and other European countries
during the 16th century.
Bayanihan, Filipinescas, Filipiniana, Bara
ngay, and Ramon Obusan Dance Troupes
have performed outside the country
through our own Folk Dance and brought
pride and prestige to the Filipinos.
Classification of Philippine Folk Dances
Considered as the “Mother of
Philippine Folk Dances” for her
collecting, compiling, and propagating
folk dances, and for her outstanding
contribution to the advancement of
Filipino culture in the field of dance
In 1973, President Marcos gave
Dr. Reyes Aquino the National Artist
for Dance Award.
Classification of Philippine folk dances
according to Dr. Reyes :
1. Geographical Location
A. National Dances
B. Local or Regional Dances
A. Occupational Dances
B. Religious or Ceremonial Dances
C. Courtship Dances
4. Dance of the Countryside
5. Dances for the Lesser Known Group
Characteristics of Philippine
Dancers stand apart
Partner stay apart at 6’ away
There is a little, if any, bodily contact.
Most dancers are in long formation.
Most of the Dancers are done by pairs
6. Hand movements play an important
7. Most dances begin and end with
8. Dance from the Lowlands have
more foreign elements than those
found in the uplands.
9. War dances are found among nonChristian tribes.
Do’s in Folk Dancing
1. Dance in natural, simple and direct
2. Dance with ease and smoothness.
3. Use the proper costumes for dance
4. Follow directions and dance
instruction as closely as possible.
5. Dance with feeling and expression.