1. Feature writing and advanced editing
Leveraging new and social media
TEDGlobal Fellow 2010
Editor, Groundviews (www.groundviews.org)
2. what is social media?
• Social media uses Internet and web-based technologies to transform
broadcast media monologues (one to many) into social media dialogues
(many to many). It supports the democratization of knowledge and
information, transforming people from content consumers into content
3. what is new media?
• New media is a term meant to encompass the emergence of digital,
computerized, or networked information and communication technologies.
• New media is not television programs, feature ﬁlms, magazines, books, or
paper-based publications. (Wikipedia)
• But increasingly, old media is leveraging the web, Internet and mobiles in
generating and disseminating news and information.
4. new media and foundations
• Social networks (Twitter, Facebook)
• Google Maps and mashups
• Mobiles: SMS, mobile photography and video
• VoIP: Skype, Google Chat
• And making this all possible is ADSL + 3G wireless broadband
5. what’s new
• Ubiquity of two way communications
• Addressable peoples, even those who IDPs or refugees
• Both news generation and dissemination leverages new media
• Disintermediated models vs. traditional media model
• Citizens as producers
• Low resolution content broadcast on high deﬁnition media
6. enduring challenges
• Impartial, accurate coverage still vital, increasingly hard to ascertain
• Torrent of information. Trickle of knowledge.
• Veracity / Veriﬁability hard to determine
• Post-disaster communications can be unreliable and difﬁcult. Eye-witness
accounts are partial, subjective.
• New media / technology illiteracy even amongst journalists
• Apathy and animosity against citizen journalism
• Licensing and attribution of online content
10. alternative politics in Sinhala: Vikalpa
11. news from provinces: Perambara
12. kottu: blog aggregation
13. sinhala bloggers union: Sinhala blog aggregation
14. sinhala bloggers union: Sinhala blog aggregation
15. twitter: new perspectives
16. ﬂickr content on sri lanka
17. social networking: facebook reach with $0
18. social networking: facebook reach with $0
Avg. FB account: 100 friends
Groundviews FB page has 1,557 fans
Updates featured on 155,700 FB accounts. Instantly.
19. readership and reach: web media
From 19 – 27 May 2010, Groundviews ran a special edition on the end of war in Sri Lanka.
Over this week alone, the site received over forty thousand readers and exclusively
featured over eighty-thousand words of original content, one video premiere, over
a dozen photos, generating over one hundred and ﬁfty thousand words of
commentary. Tens of thousands more have read and commented on this content since.
20. social networking: facebook
21. podcasts: apple iTunes
22. Tools for feature writing and editing
23. pronunciation from google dictionary
24. online word processing
36. wordpress.com: blogging via phone
37. ustream.tv: broadcasting via a PC
38. bambuser.com: mobile phone broadcasting
39. drop.io: reports through audio
40. transferring large ﬁles
41. Managing content: Pulling in
42. google search: Updates from social media
43. google news: thousands of sources
44. google reader: a web based RSS reader
45. key points: recap
• New technologies potentially give voice to all citizens
• Be sceptical of new information, but use new media to push and pull content
• Develop media literacy to embrace new technologies