Dirk Singer!http://about.me/dirktherabbit!Twitter - @dirktherabbit!thefiverrproject.tumblr.comsocial photography and video!How online communication is becoming visual!@dirktherabbit #iceefest
three things about meI like stats!(liesdamnedliesstatistics.com)I’m a Rabbit I take pictures with my phone(London ambassador EyeEm)more about visual social media - 8mpx.co.uk. On social media - @dirktherabbit
what am I going totalk about today?• The evolution of the visual web,whats the background to all this,and where is the evidence that allthis is important!• The visual social media universe !• A look at a few social photonetworks that should be on yourradar!• What should you do next?
professional photographers RIP?"With cameras as pervasive as they are,there is no such thing really as professionalphotographers, when everything isprofessional photographers. Certainlythere is varying levels of skill..." !Marissa Meyer, Yahoo! !(And Flickr / Tumblr) boss!
so if Marissa Meyer is right, why not replace yourphotographers with iPhones?The Chicago Sun-Times has ﬁred itsphoto department....andintroduced mandatory iPhonephotography training forjournalists !
lets talk about why this has happenedsmartphone adoption &evolution +the social mediarevolution ="the visual web"
the rise of the smartphoneMost EU5 mobile phones are nowsmartphonesMaking a phone call is only the 5th mostpopular activity on a phone
smartphones are...Changing humandevelopmentOur gateway to theoutside worldThe way we expressourselves
the consequences of phones being our new canvass
1 - the point and shoot camera: going the way ofthe (print) newspaper, VHS, LP....."The top end camera -we think this will survive- but the point andshoot lower end modelwill not survive in thefuture"!Keitaro So, Fujifilm!Digital camera shipments out ofJapan dropped 42% last year,with entry level camerasparticularly hard hit
2 - the photo explosion27,800 photos are uploaded to Instagramevery minute!208,000 photos are uploaded to Facebookevery minute - six billion per month!By comparison, Flickr has had eight billionphotos during its whole lifespan!Yahoo! has claimed that 880 billion photoswill be taken in 2014!!
3 - that now means online, we communicate throughpictures• 20% of the photos taken everyday end up on Facebook !• In November 2011, 20% of(Facebook) news feed storieswere photos, now its 50% -http://is.gd/YjlyUN
4 - people respond to images over wordsRetailers that use user-generatedimages from Instagram on theirwebsites, see an increasedconversion rate of 5%+Posts on Facebook that include analbum, picture or video increaseengagement by 180%, 120% and100%
5 - photo sharing is now photo broadcasting,with its own social mediaPhoto-sharing Short form video / gifsStory-telling and curation Longer form video
photo-sharing in its simplest formtakefilter !(I use camera+ butsnapseed is free)share
• Now owned by Facebook!• An A-List network, everyone shouldhave a presence!• A year ago 30 million users, nowwell over 100 million!• Point, smartphone click, filter,upload, share!• Elements of Facebook creeping in,but best thought of as a visualtwitter (e.g. @ and #)!• An active community and super-fansinstagram
• Part of the “Silicon Allee” tech scenein Berlin!• iOS, Android and Windows Mobile!• Among the main photo networks,the biggest competitor to Instagram,but perhaps 1/25th of the size!• Like German competitor Tadaa, sellsitself on quality!• Photos grouped into ‘albums’!• Very willing to work with brands !• Potential to work with a network of100 ambassadors (includesBucharest), to organise photo-walkseyeem
• The original photo-sharing network!• Used to be a staple by brands(create an account, host yourcorporate pics), but now oftenoverlooked!• Revamped earlier this year as partof Yahoo! making image basedcontent more of a priority (arguablyTumblr is part of the trend)!• Has meet-ups, just like Instagramand EyeEm!• Has groups, under any subject areaimaginable!• Like other IG-competitors, content isgenerally of a higher qualityflickr
1 - tell your storyThink your businessisnt visual? It almostcertainly is. Start withpeople. Even better -get other people to tellyour story for you!
• People are going to post anyway,the first step to make sense ofwhat they are saying and tochannel the activity is the hash-tag!• Twitter (+ Vine) and Instagramalready use them!• Publish on your marketing materialand on pre event social media!• Use it with physical prompts!• Make it easy to remember andshort!• Use an album name for EyeEm2 - use hash-tags toprovide prompts
• Social photography, social videonow have their own influencers.They are often not one and thesame as your A-list of bloggers!• Find out who they are, startinviting them to events to takephotos!• Court them early. Right now,working with them will be low cost.That will change3 - invite the super-fans to your event
• We all work with people - peopledo stupid things sometimes. Ifsomeone in a customer facing roleacts in a strange or erratic way,chances are it will be captured onphoto / video!• The ﬂip-side of that, have asensible mobile photo policy whenit comes to members of the public!• A ﬂat no to taking and sharingphotos is unrealistic and counter-productive - they are going to takephotos anyway, why not channelit?4 - build it into yoursocial media policy
finally - the barrier to entry doesnt have to be high andcomplicated
thank you for listening!My visual socialmedia blog - http://www.8mpx.co.uk !!Email me -firstname.lastname@example.org