- What should we know about HR so that we can make effective decision?
- 2. What should we expect our employees to do?
- 3. How many and what type of staff do we need to achieve our organizational goals?
- 4. How are we going to acquire them?
- 5. Whom to acquire and how to select?
- A process of generating a pool of suitable candidates for available jobs.
- Attract suitable candidates to apply
- Discourage unsuitable ones
- Project organization image
Alternatives to recruitment
- Timeliness of jobs filled
Screening/ selecting employees
- What information to share
Tools for Recruitment Planning
- Job analysis(JA) - responsibilities and requirements
- Time lapse data (TLD) - average time between points of decision making in recruiting
- Yield ratio (YR) - the number of candidates at a step and the the next step.
Effective Recruiting: Yield Pyramid
- YR will help to estimate the suitable candidate number required in future
Sources & Methods of Recruitment Internal source (within the organization) HR Planning Job Analysis Other considerations How many? Where? What? Internal method Job posting Employee referrals HR inventory External source (outside the organization) External method Walk-ins Advertisement (media) Campus visits Internships Agencies (publ-pvt) Trade unions
Internal vs External Recruitment Internal Recruitment
- Better selection (foreknowledge of candidates’ strengths and weaknesses)
- Increases employee morale
- Adaptability (less training & orientation required)
- Failed applicants become discontented
- Time wasted interviewing inside candidates who will not be considered
- In-breeding of status quo
Internal vs External Recruitment External Recruitment
- Greater choice for selection
- Environmental adaptability
- Attract suitable candidates
- Deter unsuitable candidates
- Create a favorable impression
- Is the organization reputed one?
- Is the job relevant to qualification/ experience?
Ad Construction Checklist
- Will it advance my career?
- Use the AIDA guide to construct ads
- Catch attention with imaginative headline and illustration
- Stimulate interest by describing the organization and the job in the first paragraph in a personally rewarding way
- Arouse desire by stating opportunities early in the copy, job location, job requirements and job rewards
Ad Construction Checklist
- Stimulate action by telling how, when and where to apply
- Be creative - use of ad agencies might help develop and promote a company image
- Special employment agencies used to seek out top management and technical talent
- Internet databases have shortened time required to find talent
- Online executive recruiting firm
Tips on Choosing a Recruiter
- Can they conduct a thorough search?
- Meet individual who will handle the search
- Be sure you can trust them with privileged information