Power Point Teaching Strategies.PptPresentation Transcript
Teaching Strategies for Inclusion of Special EducationStudents By: Sarah Sperazza Special Education Teacher
IDEA (Individuals with disabilities education act) According to IDEA, all special education students are to be placed in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) to meet their needs. Individual Education Program (IEP) team must first consider regular education as the starting point for placement.
1. Difficulty of Instruction Adapt the expected skill level, type of problem/task, or rules for completing the task Examples: Use of calculator for math problems Simplify directions Reduce number of choices for answers
2. Time Adapt time given or allowed for learning or completing a task Example: Increase time for assignments and tests
3. Size Adaptthe expected number of items to learn or complete Examples: Reduce the number of terms the student must learn Reduce number of math problems to compute
4. Level of Support Adapt or increase amount of individual assistance with a specific learner. Examples: Teaching assistant Peer buddy Peer tutor One on one instruction
5. Alternate While using the same materials, adapt the expectations, goals, or outcomes. Example: In language Arts, expect a student to identify the meaning of new terms while others must also use them in a sentence.
6. Input Adaptthe manner in which the instruction is delivered Examples: Auditory and visual aids Hands on lessons Small group instruction Concrete examples Supply notes
7. Output Adapt the ways students can respond to instruction Examples: Verbal responses Use of hands on materials to show understanding Assistive technology (switches, communication board, etc.)
8. Participation Adapt the extent to which the student is actively involved or participating in a lesson or task Examples: A student can… Operate the DVD player Hold up a map during history class Collect assignments
9. Substitute Curriculum Adaptinstruction and materials to meet the individual goals of the student’s IEP (Individual Education Program) Example: Practicing computer skills while others students are taking a written test