Understanding Marxist and Functionalist Perspectives of Education
1. What is the curriculum in a school?
2. What did Durkheim argue that schools are?
3. How did Parsons view the role of school as being?
4. What is the difference between ascribed status and achieved status?
5. What is the difference between ‘particularistic values’ and ‘universalistic values’?
6. What do functionalist’s mean by the ‘division of labour’ ?
7. Define a functionalist perspective of the ‘hidden curriculum’
8. How do Functionalists value the concept of meritocracy within the education
9. What did Althusser see the main role of education being?
10. How did Althusser justify his argument?
11. What did Bowles and Gintis’ mean by the ‘long shadow of work?’
12. Identify several ways your own school life reflect Bowles and Gintis’ perspective
of the hidden curriculum?
13. Indentify three differences between Marxist and Functionalist perspectives of
14. Identify and briefly explain the key differences between Marxist and
Functionalist views of the hidden curriculum