Halland County Council
Health care center
Public dental clinic
Health care and dental care
• Two emergency hospitals – in Halmstad and in Varberg.
Specialized care is also provided in Falkenberg and in
• Publicly financed private measures
• 47 health care units
• 8 ambulance stations
• 20 public dental clinics and specialized dental care
• Publicly financed private dental care for children
Population of Halland 2008-12-31
Laholm 23 258
Halmstad 90 241
Hylte 10 273
Falkenberg 40 451
Varberg 56 673
Kungsbacka 72 676
Total 293 572
Some of our objectives
• The healthcare and medical services shall
strive to ensure good health and good quality
health-care to every member of the population
on equal terms.
• The inhabitants shall be ensured of easy
access to healthcare, medical and dental
services throughout Halland. If there are waiting
lists, established priorities shall be observed.
• Healthcare and treatment guarantee.
Equality in Health Care
Your right to healthcare is regulated in
The Health and Medical Care Act.
• The goal of the Health and Medical Services is
to provide good quality healthcare on equal
terms for everyone.
• Healthcare shall maintain a high level of quality
and be easily accessible.
• Healthcare should be based upon respect for the
patient´s right to selfdetermination and integrity.
• Healthcare shall be administered in consultation
with you, the patient, as far as possible.
• Those with the greatest need of health and
medical services shall be given priority to
medical attention. (HsL 2§).
Freedom of choice (1:2)
- the opportunity to choose healthcare troughout Sweden
Freedom of choice in healthcare allows you to seek
care at doctor´s offices or hospitals outside of the
county. This applies to healthcare provided by the
County Council and private healthcare centers that
are financed by public funds.
Freedom of choice (2:2)
• You can seek healthcare in Skåne, Västra
Götaland, Blekinge, Kronoberg och Jönköpings
counties on the same terms as those who reside
• You can also seek care at any healthcare center,
private doctor´s office (financed by public funds) or
hospital throughout Sweden. Certain County
Councils only accept patients from other counties
when time and resources allow it. (In the case of
more costly treatment, it must first be approved by
the County Council Public Health Board´s office.)
• For highly specialized treatment at a regional
hospital or a university hospital, a referral from the
treating doctor at a hospital in Halland is always
• You pay for your own travel costs.
The Healthcare Guarantee (1:3)
It is the ambition of the County Council to
provide care as speedily as possible and has
therefore decided to establish a Healthcare and
The guarantee applies to healthcare provided
by the County Council and private healthcare
centers that are financed by public funds.
The Healthcare Guarantee (2:3)
Contact with healthcare the same day
• You will be able to have contact with healthcare
personnel the same day that you seek treatment,
for example via the County Council´s Medical Care
Telephone Help-line (Tel. 1177) or healthcare
Appointments to healthcare centers or
private doctor´s offices
• You will be offered an appointment at a healthcare
center or a private generel practitioner within
seven days. If your illness is deemed to be acute,
you will receive an appointment the same day.
The Healthcare Guarantee (3:3)
Appointments at a hospital or private specialist
90 A doctor´s appointment will be offered within three
months. If you suffer from anxiety attacks or if your
doctor suspects a more serious illness, you will be
offered an appointment within one month.
Treatment at a hospital or by a private specialist
90 If your doctor deems that you are in need of
treatment or an operation, it will be offered to you
within three months.
When the County Council cannot live up to
the Healthcare Guarantee
• Sometimes the County Council cannot provide
healthcare within the time period stipulated by the
Healthcare Guarantee. You then have the opportunity
to seek treatment at another doctor´s office/hospital in
• In that case the County Council will pay for your
treatment and travel costs.
• You pay the patient´s fee as usual in accordance with
the rules that apply where the treatment is given.
• Should you wish to take advantage of this opportunity,
contact the Healthcare Guarantee service
”Vårdgarantiservice” at Tel. 0771 – 900 600 or
via e-mail email@example.com
National Dental Service
Dental care for children and young people is free
of charge up until 19 years of age. Free dental
care in Halland covers both the National Dental
Service and private dentists, so children and
young people are free to choose where they go
Specialist Dental Care
Specialist dental care and hospital dental care
operate in conjunction with hospitals and are
supplementary to basic dental care because of
their specialist nature.
Distribution of seat 2006–2010
Socialdemokraterna 23 25
Moderaterna 20 14
Centern 9 9
Folkpartiet 6 8
Kristdemokraterna 5 6
Vänsterpartiet 3 4
Miljöpartiet 3 2
SPI 2 3
Total 71 71
County Council Commissioners
Mats Eriksson (m) Gun-Marie Lise-Lotte Olsson (s)
Chairman Stenström (m) 2nd Vice Chairman
County Council Board 1st Vice Chairman County Council Board
County Council Board