The Five Paragraph Essay
Dr. Montasser Mohamed AbdelWahab
1. To provide students with a practical and
efficient approach to acquiring the
skills, strategies, and knowledge that are
necessary for succeeding in content
2. To provide opportunities for students to
explore their opinions, discuss their
ideas, and share their experiences through
3. To provide students with the tools and the
confidence necessary for college success.
1. An authentic text to provide ideas and context for the
2. Vocabulary and brainstorming activities to help students
generate the language and concepts needed for their
3. Concise and effective language presentations to develop
students’ understanding of rhetorical modes and to
improve their grammatical accuracy.
4. Useful writing outlines to help students structure their
5. Collaborative learning activities that allow students to
work together and share ideas.
6. Editing exercises and editing checklists to help students
refine their writing.
7. Timed writing activities to prepare students for in-class
Each unit introduces;
1. A theme;
2. A writing task
3. A five –part process that includes:
a) Gathering ideas b) Organizing an outline
c) Drafting d) Revising
1. Part one:
- It opens with an image to spark interest.
- This is followed by a short authentic text.
- Students answer questions about the
- They move on to a free-writing activity in
which they do not worry about organization
1. Students are introduced to a specific
2. They begin by brainstorming ideas and
vocabulary for their essay.
3. They learn about rhetorical organizational
4. They read and analyze a student essay.
5. They produce an outline for the essay they
1. Students produce a first draft.
2. They answer questions about the second
3. Students check each other’s writing for
organization and clarity of ideas.
1. Students edit their writing and produce a
2. This part focuses on particular grammar
trouble spots relevant to the theme
presented in the unit.
3. Students complete practice exercises that
focus on accuracy and involves editing a
piece of writing.
1. It is titled “Putting It All Together”.
2. It is the summary of the other parts of the
3. Students review the points covered in Parts
4. They are given the opportunity to write a
5. It provides students with a comprehensive
checklist to review what they have written.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.