1. Short Film Pitch MISSING Becker Watson, Dominique Bendelow, Michaela Boddy
2. Title… We used www.dafont.com to get different styles of writing for the title of our film. The choice we like the best will be used on our film poster. The title ‘Missing’ gives a sense of unknown to the audience based on our ending, which is an open ending.
3. Concept… We watched three main films to give us the ideas and inspiration for this film, which include; Sweeney Todd, Psycho and Zodiac. All three films are based on the idea of a serial killer with a main genre of psychological thriller. These films relate best to our short film idea because we wanted to try and make ours a thriller, although we keep the truth of the ending hidden from the audience.
4. Narrative…Plot/SynopsisThe film opens with different pictures of our main female character with herboyfriend and with her friend, with the opening credits and the title on top of allthe images that are shown. Our main female character is going to GuisboroughWoods for inspiration for her photography project. She gets to the place in thewoods she wants to be, which is a secluded area, and she sees her friend Chris whohas took his dogs for a walk. Just as the female character sees him she receives atext from her boyfriend asking “Are you ok?”, she hesitates and replies back with“I’ll phone you in 10 minutes”. She then goes and talks to Chris, as they hug thecamera closes up on Chris’s face, he closes his eyes and we see a flashback of himdoing the same thing with numerous other girls and then killing them. We arebrought back to reality as Chris opens his eyes and has a sinister look on his face.The female character is unknown to this change in him. As she tries to leave he asksfor one more hug, at which point his hand goes into his pocket to retrieve anunknown object, the camera flashes back to Chris’s face with a sinister smile againand the screen goes black. There is the sound of a struggle with leaves rustling andtwigs snapping then silence. We then see the images from the opening of the filmand the camera focuses on Chris in the background of every image, to suggest hehas some obsession with the female character. The sound of a phone ringing can beheard, the image to the Woods returns showing the female characters phone on thefloor and her boyfriend phoning. The screen then goes black and the end credits areshown.
5. Characters…‘Victim’Within our short film we are going to have a so called ‘Victim’. Weare going to make the audience feel like this person is a victim allthe way through, but also make them question themselves as theyconsider the fact that maybe she isn’t the victim, but she’s alsoanother villain by cheating on her boyfriend. We leave this bit tothe imagination which also keeps people in suspense and makesthem want more. ‘Villain’ We also have the typical ‘Villain’ who is after the victim. We will make the audience constantly feel on edge with the way this character is portrayed in our short film. But towards the end we make it obvious that everything may not be what it seems, and we’re unsure of where the story ends. Although this happens, we also make it known that he was previously a villain which adds to the confusion of the narrative.
6. Mise en Scene… Our film is set in a secluded area of Guisborough Woods, (most likely in the snow, knowing our luck). This is seen as a mysterious setting and gives the impression that the main female character is, obviously besides Chris, alone. The era of the film will be modern day, so 2011/2012 depending on when we start filming. This will allow us to incorporate modern day technology such as mobile phones, into the film. Our villain, Chris, will be dressed in all black; black jeans, black hoodie, possibly wellies, gloves, maybe a scarf and a hat but he already has black hair. Our female character will be For the majority of our film we will dressed in normal winter/snow day clothes; be using the daylight provided, wellies, big coat, hat, gloves, scarf etc. which will create a more ambient and lively feel, although we maybe need to use torches etc to create low key lighting or to show facial expressions with close ups. (We would use the big lights, but there’s no plugs in the woods).
7. Audience Profile…Our film is aimed mainly at an audience of ages between15 – 21 approximately and will also be for both male andfemales. Although it may be more male dominated due tomore males liking thriller films than females.
8. Themes, Time and Technology… The theme of time will be present within the flashback, showing that it’s going back in time. Technology will be present with the use of mobile phones and the camera the main female character will have. Other themes present will be; Mystery, Suspense, Drama, Thriller.
9. Animatic…This animatic made onwww.goanimate.com gives a almostoverview of our short film. It doesn’thappen like this in the film, we just hadto work with what we had.http://goanimate.com/movie/00xKv73G0rR4?utm_source=linkshare&uid=02wp4V60mzI4