1. Thank You Mr. Sameer Tungare for giving us the
opportunity to work on this project.
2. Lateral thinking is a term coined by Edward de Bono.
First appeared in the title of de Bono’s book New
Think: The Use of Lateral Thinking , in year 1967
It is about reasoning that is not immediately obvious.
3. “You cannot dig a hole in
a different place by
digging the same hole
“Lateral thinking is for
changing concepts and
4. Edward De Bono
Edward de Bono was born in Malta on 19 May 1933.
He is a physician, author, inventor and consultant.
He has had a major impact on the way we think and particularly
in the field of creativity.
Edward de Bono coined the phrase lateral thinking.
According to him lateral thinking is, “creativity involves braking
out of established patters in order to look at things in a different
5. Dr. de Bono meant to differentiate lateral
Dr. de Bono has created several techniques
to help apply lateral thinking to solve
They are as follows :1. Think of as many different alternatives for
solving a problem as you possibly can.
2. Challenge any assumptions you may have
about your problem; and insert random
elements which will encourage you to look
at the problem from a different and
6. Assumptions are mental shortcuts.
In order to challenge your assumptions, write down all
of the dominant ideas.
Apply to a particular situation and then deliberately
Radom entry idea
A trip in car.
Change of perspective.
10. Six Thinking Hats' is an important and powerful
This forces you to move outside your habitual thinking
style, and helps you to get a more rounded view of a
It has the benefit of blocking the confrontations that
happen when people with different thinking styles
discuss the same problem.
Each 'Thinking Hat' is a different style of thinking.
11. White hat
• Focus on data available
• Look at the information you have.
• Look at the decision using intuition, gut reaction,
• Also try to think how other people will react
• Look at all the bad points of the decision.
• Look at it cautiously and defensively.
12. Yellow hat
• Helps you to think positively.
• It is the optimistic viewpoint that helps you to see
all the benefits of the decision and the value in it.
• The Green Hat stands for creativity.
• This is where you can develop creative solutions
to a problem.
• The Blue Hat stands for process control.
• This is the hat worn by people chairing meetings.
13. Six hats can be used in meetings or for oneself.
In meetings it has the benefits of defusing the
disagreements that can happen when people with
different thinking styles discuss the same problem
Looks at problems from the point of view of different