• What is word-of-marketing and why you
• Making the most of social networks
• Electronic word-of-mouth marketing
What does the word
mean to you?
Marketing - Textbook Definition:
The activities of listening to customer needs,
assessing the competitive landscape and
then designing and creating products and
services accompanied by messages that
shape audience perceptions, leading to
opportunities for revenue.
• Find out what they want
• Give it to them at a reasonable cost
• Tell them about it
Four P’s of the Marketing Mix
Old School vs. New-Marketing
Library controls Users have power
Library’s content Users’ content
Focus groups, surveys User feedback
One way broadcast Two-way, iterative conversation
What is Word-of-Mouth Marketing?
Activities that generate personal
recommendations and referrals for your
services, or “products”
Why Should I Care ?
• Traditional marketing is becoming less
– information overload
– skeptical public
Technology Pumps It Up!
• Potential for the exponential
• Message is recorded (somewhere!), no
• Vital for “hard-to-reach” groups
It All Begins With One-to-One
I Thought Viral Was a Bad Thing …?
• Word-of-mouth – person to person
• Viral – word-of-mouth enhanced by online
• Buzz – Everyone is talking about it – message
is no longer moving linearly
Word-of-mouth Is Not Appropriate When:
• Product is complicated
• Forced, fake, or bought
• Product is a dog
Creating a Buzz
• Let’s give them something to talk about!
• The Wow! factor