Summary of Course
Discovering your value
Sponsorship is a marketing strategy
used to communicate about a product
or service by affiliating with an event,
experience, or organization that is
valued by the sponsor’s customers.
Sponsorship vs. Philanthropy
• Value based, not need based
Reality check: Do we have any prospects?
• Track record-who has a deal?
• Find a fit with your audience.
• Track local deals
• Price media
• Ask colleagues in other regions
Not Enough Time to Sell
Entire sales cycle represents 9 to 18 month effort
Set campaign focus
policies. Sales effort
Note objections; prospects
Refine; Tailor proposals by industry
Drive Warm Leads
1. Create a sampling program.
2. Offer B2B hospitality to existing sponsors.
3. Raise profile with PR.
4. Join/form a business group.
5. Help sponsor be “super hero”
Which super hero would you be?
• To discover if it makes sense to meet.
Polish your elevator speech
• Do your research
• Practice the script
• Expect rejection
• Have a next step.
What is an elevator pitch:
1) What we do
2) What difference we make
3) For instance….
“We are e-Learning experts who have
discovered which kind of online
learning actually changes behavior. We
help McDonald’s make a perfectly
consistent fry around the world and
Mayo Clinics outpatients take their
First meeting -To Pitch or Probe?
• Ask permission to pitch: Would it help…
• Elevator + broad brush strokes
• Ask probing questions
• Develop detailed proposals based on:
– Information gathered at the first meeting.
– Answer the needs of the business