1. By: Kristina Garcia, Devin Wear, Miklo Moreno, Salvador R. Period: 4World History Class
2. The European Response
3. British Resistance Napoleon had the hope of invading through the seas of Britain. He eventually gave up that hope after being defeated by the Spanish Fleet in 1805. Next he tried to cut off Britain’s 3rd route to make them too poor for war. Was called “The Continental System” It failed because… Britain’s allies opposed to go that way Britain obtained new markets to trade with
4. Nationalism – the sense of unique identity of people. The French Revolution was one of the most important forces in the 19th century. When the French people decided that they were the nation, not the king, it was considered as a new era in history. Similar to the American Revolution. Napoleon lead his armies through Germany, Spain, Italy, and Poland. Where the countries learned about equity and liberty He created new ideas of Nationalism. 1st he united peoples hatred of invaders. 2nd convinced people that they were able to see the power and strength of national feeling.
5. The Fall of Napoleon
6. Disaster in Russia Napoleon headed out to Russia with his army. He knew the risk of invading Russia but proceeded anyways. The Grand Army had more than 600,000 people walk into Russia. The Russians didn’t want to battle so they burned down their own village to keep the army from finding food. After Napoleon found the remains of the burnt down village, they were forced to retreat. Of the 600,000 that left only 40,000 returned back to Poland. Napoleon was sent to exile in Elba when he returned. Louis XIV was named king once the king was executed.
7. The Final Defeat on the glory of empire so… Napoleon was not ready to give up He left the island Elba and went back to France. He convinced the people of France that he was their true Emperor. Russia, Great Britain, Austria, and Persia were worried that Napoleon would defeat them so, they pledged to defeat “The Enemy and Disturber of the Tranquility of the world” again. Napoleon raised another army and attacked at Belgium where he met a combined army of Britain and Persia under the control of the Duke of Wellington in June 18, 1815. He suffered a bloody defeat. Was sent to exile in St. Helena. A small island in the south Atlantic. Napoleon remained in exile until his death in 1821.
8. END Get Ready for Questions!!! XD
9. Questions and Answers 1) What happened in the Disaster in Russia? The Russians burned down their own town to prevent Napoleon’s army to eat.2) What is Nationalism? Nationalism is the sense of unique identity of people.3) What did Napoleon want toaccomplish? He wanted to invade through the seas of Britain.
10. Questions and Answers 4) Why did the Continental System fail? The Continental System failed because Britain’s allies opposed to go through the 3rd route and because they obtained new markets to trade with. 5) When and where did Napoleon die? Napoleon died in the South Atlantic on 1821.