2. IT WAS ISSUEDEMANCIPATION PROCLIMATION ON JANUARY 1 1863 , BY ABRAHAM LINCLON
3. FACTS & INFORMATION “Its the document signed by Abraham Lincolnwhich ordered all the slaves in states fighting againstthe Union to be freed. This did NOT happen, but ithelped the Union because people in other countriesagainst slavery came to help the North because theProclamation stated that the North was againstslavery.” Slaves escaped and moved South. with the addition of more salves each day 4 million, by July 1865
4. FACTS“"We show our sympathy with slavery byemancipating slaves where we cannot reach themand holding them in bondage where we can set themfree." Lincoln was fully aware of the irony, but he didnot want to antagonize the slave states loyal to theUnion by setting their slaves free. “http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4h1549.html
5. FACTS At the end of the war almost 200,000 black soldiers and sailors were involved in the war. When the Proclamation was issued, at the same time, Lincoln wasn’t liked by the many Democrats in America. Northern State: Emancipation saw Lincoln’s executive order as a cowardly and hypocritical. Southern states: would not have the benefit of manpower to the former slaves in their states. At the end the slavery was received very well by those countries who had already proclaimed themselves to be slave free.
6. FACTS The Emancipation Proclamation didn’t free all slaves in the United States. It free only those slaves living in states not under Union control.
7. NO FREEDOM FOR MANY A WAVE OF ESCAPESSLAVES Attacks made at this time as the Emancipation Proclamation freed only the slaves over which the Union had no power. The places that were allowed to have slaves: border states and southern states. People had heard about the freedoms available in the northern states Slaves quickly escaped to Union lines
8. WORK CITED Emancipation Proclamation, January 1, 1863; http://www.buzzle.com/articles/purpose-and- effects-of-the-emancipation-proclamation.html What did the emancipation proclamation do to thehttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_the_emanc ipation_proclamation_do_to_the_US