Hitler, you little genius.
• So the Germans took Czechoslovakia, but like a fat
person in a buffet line, he wanted more. He wanted
• He was also worried because he didn’t want to fight 2
fronts again, like in WWI, so he signed a non-aggression
treaty with Stalin.
• Stalin and the communist was one of the worst enemies,
so everybody was pretty shocked.
• September 1st, 1939, Hitler ordered an invasion of
Poland. Two days later the British and the French
declared war on Germany, starting the WWII.
• They used planes and tanks in a type of word called
blitzkrieg, which means lighting war.
• Poland, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands,
Belgium, and Norway fell under German control. France
put on a fight and built its defenses along the Maginot
Line, anyway in June 1940 they fell too.
• 2 years after the non-aggression treaty guess what Hitler
• In June 22nd, 1941, Hitler invaded the Soviet Union, so
obviously they joined the Allies.
• The Germans captured huge amount of lands, the Soviet
Army lost millions of soldiers, by December they reached
Moscow and Leningrad.
• Everything was working but Germans weren’t prepared
for winter, soldiers froze to death, weapons and tanks
didn’t work, that’s when the Russian attack and in 5
months. February 2nd, 1943 they surrender.
• Even when they were neutral, the favored the Allies,
anyway USA stayed back.
• December 7th, 1941 Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in
Hawaii, USA declared war on Japan the very next day.
Hitler and Mussolini declared war on USA.
• Obviously the American started gaining some lands back.
• In North Africa, the Germans and Italians almost gained
control of the Suez Canal, almost…
• In 1943 the British and American stopped them and the
battle was now against the Axis Power.
• They took Italy next, sent Mussolini out of the office, not
even Germany could help.
Japan was next.
• June 6th, 1944 the Allies landed in Normandy, France.
The invasion called D-Day.
• All the soldiers the Allies brought made it impossible for
them to fight back and the Soviets moved on the East, so
they were trapped.
• On May 8th 1945 Germany officially surrendered.
• So only Japan was next and they tried to endure but…
• Lesson 2 review. Page 188 only answers.