1. The Rebel’s Guide to Email MarketingDJWaldow@djwaldowAugust 29, 2012
2. DJ WaldowWaldowSocial.firstname.lastname@example.org/email ar.gy/rebelsguide
3. w a l d o wSOCIAL
4. Over the next 20+ minutes...✓Email is NOT dead✓Email marketing “rules”✓Being a rebel and breaking the rules✓A word about best practices
6. How many of you have ...
7. How often do you useeach of the following?
8. 91% of people useemail at least daily
9. Preferred channel for permission-basedpromotional messagesChannels used most frequently forpersonal written communications
10. 77% of peopleprefer email formarketing messages(direct mail is the next closest ... at 9%)
11. $40.56Source:The Magill Report
12. Source:The Magill ReportCompared to the ROI of:• Search - $22.24• Internet Ads - $19.72• Mobile - $10.51• Catalogs - $7.30
13. Email is not dead. In fact, it’sTHRIVING. #GoToExplore
14. You should NEVER ...Email marketing “rules”
15. You should ALWAYS ...Email marketing “rules”
16. You should NEVER use ALL CAPSor the word “free” or (gasp!) FREE INALL CAPS in an email subject line.
17. Which one is thewinning subject line?
18. How is that possible?
19. It’s okay to use ALL CAPS as wellas the word “free” in an emailsubject line. #GoToExplore
20. You should NEVER use apopup on your website orblog to collect email opt-ins.
21. funny or DIE
22. funny or DIE• Thousands of new email addressesadded every day.• Current list is over 1 million emailaddresses.
23. funny or DIEPopup accounts for75-80% of list growth!“To this day, after 4 years, I have not heard anything[negative] about it.”- Patrick Starzan, VP of Marketing & Distribution
24. Details in this blog post & as well as this follow upFlickr: Chris Penn• 30 signups per month priorto popup.• Once installed, average shotup to 133•As of Feb ’11, trending at 250per month.• 733% increase insubscribers.ChristopherSPenn.com
25. Flickr: Chris PennChristopherSPenn.comDetails in this blog post
26. Most people hate popups. But whatif they worked? #GoToExplore
27. If you learned nothing else over the past20+ minutes, please don’t forget this.
28. Best practices are those that are bestfor YOUR audience #GoToExplore
29. “There’s a rebel lying deep in mysoul.Anytime anybody tells me thetrend is such and such, I go theopposite direction. I hate the ideaof trends. I hate imitation; I have areverence for individuality.”- Clint Eastwood
30. DJ WaldowWaldowSocial.email@example.com/emailar.gy/rebelsguide