1. Presented By: Adhavan A.SThigarajar school of management
2. History of the Product• Parachute is premium edible grade coconut oil, a market leader in its category.• Parachute is positioned on the platform of purity.• Parachute pioneered the switch from coconut oil sold in tins to plastic.
3. History of the Product• Parachute is the flagship brand of Marico and consists of a line of edible coconut-oil based hair products.• Industry: FMCG• Founded : 1987• Head quarters: Bandra,Mumbai• Products : Edible Oil, Hair Oils, Skin Care, Fabric Care• Maricos own manufacturing facilities are located at Goa, Kanjikode, Jalgaon, Pondicherry, Dehradun, Baddi, Paonta Sahib and Daman
4. History of the Product• Parachute is the market leader in the branded hair oil market with a market share of around 53%.• The brand was established emphasizing Caring and Mother -Daughter relationship.• This is a 1500 crore industry which is dominated by unbranded oils.• Marico in early 1990s made a bold step in launching a brand in this segment.
5. Existing strategies• It has been a long road for Parachute (the first branded coconut oil in the Indian market) and the journey began more than four decades ago• Today the blue bottle is a strong metaphor for the Coconut Oil category and reaches 18 million households every year• On the rational front, it represented the nourishment, proteins and vitamins and on the emotional front it stood for nurturing, caring and a mother’s love
6. Improvement in the functionality area• Wide Mouth Jar, Easy Jar and the Flip Top pack with Tamper proof seal• The Easy Jar positioned as the all season jar was launched as the ‘Kamaal ka Dhakkan’ mainly to address the North markets where severe winters make the hair oiling a challenge• The jar that offers the twin benefits of a wide mouth and has an easy pour cap which ensure that the pack does not suffer seasonality
7. Best Strategies Applied So Far• They changed pack shapes to one that is sleek, modern and aesthetic• Flip top cap to ensure safety and purity of parachute oil• Easy jar of parachute to facilitate usage during winters• Parachute mini-a bottle shaped sachet sold at an MRP of Re 1• 20 ml parachute-a Rs 5 that enables loose oil users to upgrade• Strong distribution network
8. Product Differentiation• Parachute Baby Oil – It is a special hair oil for kids – Moistures baby delicate skin and helps protect from dryness scalp
9. Product Differentiation• Parachute Oil Spray – It can be used by modern generation like the youth – Instant usage – Optimum utilization
10. Product Differentiation• Parachute Ayurvedic Oil – The herbs and medicinal herbs are used to enrich the oil content – It would help to nourish your hair growth and strengthen it
11. Product Differentiation• Parachute Scalp Oil – To Prevent Excessive hair loss – To Reduce density of oil in hair because a survey revealed that excessive content of oil in hair leads to hair loss as the oil clogs in hair and leads to formation of wax in the scalp thus leading to damage of scalp
12. Advertising Agencies• BBH India• Ambience D’arcy Ad Agency• Madison Ad Agency
13. Rural Advertising• ‘Tamper-proof’ Packaging• Covered more than 200 towns each in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Punjab• Sponsored all social causes• Used pamphlets in theatre plays in towns of Kolkata
14. TV Commercials• Parachute Advanced – Parachute Advanced Holi Ad – Parachute Advanced Winter Ad• Parachute Jasmine – Parachute Jasmine Blinkers Ad• Parachute Advanced Starz – Chocolate Shampoo Ad (Choose Your Avatar)
16. Promotion• It advertises through Televison, Print, Outdoor, Digital, Radio• The brand has been endorsed by celebrities like Deepika Padukone, Diya Mirza, Yuvraj, Sreesanth• Advertising is heavy before Holy & during winters• Popular & effective campaigns like ‘1 hour champi kiya’, Help remind people about the benefits of oiling before hair wash• Parachute also uses van campaigns, Haats in rural areas to promote the brand• Sales Promotions like ‘20% extra’ was made on the 200ml pack