5. SUN IS THE NEAREST STAR…….. IT IS 150 MILLION KILOMETERS AWAY.
6. sun SUN IS A HOT GLOWING BALL OF FIRE………..IT PRODUCE ITS OWN LIGHT ALL THE TIME………………IT IS THE CHIEF SOURCE OF HEAT AND ENERGY OF OUR EARTH
7. PLANETS THE HEAVENLY BODIES THAT REVOLVE AROUND THE SUN ARE KNOWN AS PLANETS……………………THERE ARE 8 PLANETS IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM…….they do not produce their own light….
8. ORBITS Each planet move around the sun on its own path called an orbit. The orbit are kind of circular paths with the sun as their centre. The orbits of different planets do not cross each other because planet remains in its own orbit.
9. SOLAR SYSTEM The sun and its planets together form the solar system . There are 8 planets in the solar system.
10. HOW TO LEARN THE SEQUENCE OF PLANETS? My Very Energetic Mother Just Sent Us Noodles M mercury V venus E earth M mars J jupiter
11. S Saturn U Uranus N Neptune
12. This shows that : Planet nearest to sun : mercury Planet farthest to sun : neptune Planet nearest to earth : venus and mars Our earth is at third position from the sun
13. OUR PLANET IS EARTH The only planet out of 8 planets where life exist is our earth….
14. FORMATION OF EARTH Our Earth did not always look like this. In fact long ago , there was no earth at all. Scientists believe that the earth started as a large ball of burning gases.
15. This hot cloud of gases spun around for millions of years. As it spun , it slowly became cooler. And as it cooled , it hardened slightly and it surface became cooler.
16. HARDENING OF UPPER LAYER OF EARTH
17. Its surface began to wrinkle like a dried plum. The wrinkles became mountain ranges. Water from the rain settled in the low lying places to form oceans , seas , rivers and lakes
18. Composition (What it is made of) Crust Mantle Core
19. CRUST THE LAYER OF HARD ROCKS COVERS THE EARTH . THIS IS CALLED THE EARTH’S CRUST
20. The Crust Outer layer 5-100 km thick 2 types of crust Oceanic (very dense, made of basalt) Continental (less dense, made of granite)
21. Oceanic and Continental Crust
22. The Mantle Middle layer Very thick layer MANTLE
23. MANTLE Mantle is a mixture of rocks and metals
24. The Core Made mostly of iron 1/3 of the earth’s mass Very hot
25. CORE It is the centre of the earth……it is very hot………..due to this extreme heat , nothing here can remain in a solid form……….there are metals in molten form.
26. Earth’s Layers How are the earth’s layers similar to an egg? Shell=crust Egg white=mantle Yolk=core
27. VOLCANOES The molten metals and gases lying in the centre of the earth expand due to the great heat and they exert great pressure from inside to force themselves out of the earth’s crust.
28. The molten material thrown out is called Lava…while the hole in the center of the volcano is called a Crater.