1. Assignment 6 (c/w): simple film narrative structure analysis Chelsea Fasholé-Luke
2. The Social Network (Drama) • Harvard university student Mark Zuckerberg creates a website called ‘Smashface’ on a late night after being dumped by is girlfriend. • He is approached by two other students to help with a new idea they had to create a new social network/dating site exclusively for Harvard students. • He comes up with the idea for ‘thefacebook.com’, a new social network site where university students can connect and share photos etc. with each other • With the help of a few friends they create Facebook, resulting in a multi billion dollar business and a couple of lawsuits.
3. A) Has the institution created a text with a conventional (stereotypical) narrative structure?• No, however, the movie follows a non-linear narrative structure which can be broken down into: - Act one: set up - Act two: conflict - Act three: resolution
4. B) Explain how the film is narrative implicit or explicit Explicit Narrative Reasons Explicit Narrative Reasons The man looks angry; his mouth is wide open as if Shows that he is angry. nearly shouting, his brows are furrowed.People in the background are jumping about, twocharacters are shaking hands. Shows that they are celebrating/congratulating.The man in the background is out of focus (use of Shows that he is not payingshallow focus) and the character in the foreground attention to the elderly man.is turned away from him.The man is moving away from the man in the Shows that the man if fullforeground, his face looks scared and he is moving view is threatened by thehis arms up towards himself, as if to protect character with his back tohimself. the camera
5. How the film uses unconventional narrative structure (act one)Act 1: set upMark creates a website that allows his peers to assess who is “hot or not” among hiscollege peers. The break up The university Blog and hack
6. Act 1: continuedMeet The coding beginsEduardo
7. Act 2 Act 2 moves between the past and the present, as the narrative goes back and forth between the law suits against Mark Zuckerberg and the story of how and why they happened.Thefacebook.com The conflict The lawsuit The threatis live begins
8. Act 2: continuedThe other law suit Sean Park enters the scene
9. Act 3 Act 3 focuses more on the past conflicts between those involved in the expansion of Facebook. The conflict continues right up to the end of the movie.The expansion of Mark adds his ex Eduardo gets EduardoFacebook girlfriend on cut out threatens Mark Facebook
10. Act 3: continuedSettlements are made The ‘happy’ ending
11. Which conventions have they subverted (overthrown) or broken?• Non-linear structure means we jump between time • The issue at • The happy zones. the end is ending is resolved, more of an but in a agreed-o negative ending. way. Everyone leaves satisfied but not happy.
12. Why have the film makers used this unconventional structure?• To tell the story • Keeps the without allowing audience it to become boring. engaged as they want to know what is to come next. • To keep a sense • Creates an enigma of throughout that unpredictabili means the ty within the audience are in film. suspense.
13. What impact does it have on the audience? • By moving between • Confuses the • Refreshes the the narratives, the audience at audience, as audience is able to the beginning the majority of see the answers to when the main mainstream the enigmas we character is films follow a are left with from shown in the chronological the previous meeting about linear scenes (like in the law suit. narrative. ‘Slumdog Millionaire’). Moves straight from the scene on the left (past) to the scene on the right (present). Scene whereEduardo, co-founder Eduardoof Facebook before (image on thethe idea of Facebook left) is suingwas hatched. Mark.
14. What audience expectations have they established or challenged by using this structure?• Challenged:- The expectation of chronology- The idea that stories only make sense when told in the right order--