A system of interconnected computers that share a
central storage system and various peripheral
devices such as a printers, scanners, or routers.
Each computer connected to the system
can operate independently, but has the ability to
communicate with other external devices and
• Input devices are components or peripheral devices that feeds data or
instructions into a computer or other computational devices for display, storage,
processing, or outputting or transmission. They convert the instructions and
analog data like graphics, sound, pictures into digital signals that can be
processed by a computer. Examples of input devices are mouse, bar-code
reader, magnetic-stripe reader, keyboard, modem, scanner, graphic tablet and
• An output device is any piece of computer hardware equipment used to
transmit or communicate the results of data processing by information
processing. These devices include: speakers, monitors or projectors.
• Storage devices are hardware devices that are capable of storing information in a
computer. The data storage devices come in several sizes and shapes and some
are non-removable while other are removable. Some of the storage devices in a
computer include: floppy diskette, CD-ROM disc, CD-R disc, hard disk drive and
USB flash drive.
• The function of a computer keyboard is to enter commands, text and other forms of
data typically by pressing the respective keys on the keyboard. The normal layout
of letters, numbers, and punctuation on a keyboard is called QWERTY keyboard
since the initial six keys on the top right row of letters spell QWERTY.
• A computer mouse is a device used to point and click on icons, menus, command
buttons on a computer's Graphical user interface. The GUI is found on current
applications and programs that the user is navigating
• A scanner is basically used for making several copies of a document or an image. It
is a device that captures images such as magazine pages, photographic prints,
posters and similar sources for computer editing as well as display.
• A monitor is a display unit that is used to show data that has been put
in a computer. The data is processed by a video card into images that
are displayed on the monitor. There are different types of monitors,
some of which include the cathode ray tube and liquid crystal displays.
• Printers are machines used to reproduce documents. Printers are often set up
to communicate with computers, and are often capable of more
functions than printing reproductions on paper, such as scanning.
• Computer speakers are a way for computers to make sounds by means of
digital or analog audio. The speaker has given the computer a new way to
interact with its users: through sound. There are many different types of
speakers for different uses
• These are portable devices that fit into the usb ports on computers to enable users to save and
transfer data. In some ways they work differently than the memory on the computer, although
they do save and store information. They can wear out or be compromised in such a way that
they do not accurately transfer all of the information that was previously stored, especially if
they have been erased numerous times. The function of pen drive flash memory storage is to
save and transfer information between devices.
• CD-ROM drives are very popular for playing and installing media. CD-ROM drives
are classified as 5.25-inch drives because they fit into the 5.25-inch drive bays that
are used in computer cases. CD-ROM drives come in many forms, including
external, internal, and more
• The hard disk is the 'data centre' of a computer. It is in the hard disk that all the
programs and data are stored. The hard disk is the most important of the different
types of permanent storage devices used in PCs.