Education is free for all children from
5 to 16.
Full-time education is compulsory for all
children across England. This can be
provided by state schools, independent
schools, or home schooling.
All government-run schools (state
schools) follow the same National
The School Year
• The school year runs from
September to July and is 39
• When do kids start school?
• Children normally start
primary school at the age of
four or five, but many schools
now have a reception year for
• Children normally leave at the age of 11, moving on to
secondary school (High school).
• At the age of 16, students take an examination called the
GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education).
Study of GSCE subjects begins at the start of Year 10
(age 14-15), and final examinations are then taken at the
end of Year 11 (age 15-16).
• After completing the GCSE, some students leave
school, others go onto technical college, while
others continue at high school for two more years
and take a further set of standardized exams,
known as A levels, in three or four subjectsthree or four subjects. These
exams determine whether a student is eligible for
• Children attend primary school for seven years,
where they study:
English, mathematics, science, religious
education, history, geography, music, art and
crafts, physical education (PE), information
technology (IT) and a foreign language.
•Most schools in England require
children to wear a school uniform.
Secondary School SubjectsSubjects
• Humanities (History,
• French or Spanish
Children attend school from
Monday to Friday, from 08:55 - 15:15.
• Lunch break is from 12.15 noon to 1.15
p.m. and children may have a school meal
or bring a packed lunch.
• There are also two 20-minute
The main school holidays are:
• Christmas- 2 weeks
• Spring (Easter) - 2 weeks
• Summer - 6 weeks
There are also one week holidays:
– At the end of October
– In mid February
– end of May
Total school days per year:
195 School days
In other countries
• American students: 180 days
• Australian students: 198 days
• Israeli students: 216 days
• German students: 220 days
• Japanese students: 243 days
• Spanish students: 17175 days