OpenStack March 2018
OpenStack Korea Community Study Manager 장태희
• Operations War Stories
• OpenStack Contribution for Non-Developers
• OpenStack Updates
• OpenStack on Containers, Containers on OpenStack
• Neutron pain points
Operations War Stories
• Upgrade hell – Liberty, Icehouse,… but no plan to upgrade
• Documentation woes
• Docs as markdown in git vs “easier” wiki pages
• Storage Issues
• performance issue when user use IO/IOPS a lot.
• How many Hypervisor/VM you are running on 1 region?
• Migration Issues
• kvm64 support? Yes!
●OpenStack OpsGuide Wiki
●Project Installation and Configuration Guides
○Usually found in each projects repo under doc/source/
REST API documentation
OpenStack administration guide
Description of command line tools
Reference for configuration options
Useful information on how to contribute
Information on project installation
Project reference material such as class documentation
End user content
●Need git client installed
○Linux - [apt|yum] install git
○Mac - brew install git
○Windows - https://git-scm.com/downloads
●Need git review installed
○sudo pip install git-review
●Clone git repo locally
○git clone https://github.com/openstack/cinder (or GUI equivalent)
●Edit files with a text editor
○Bonus points for building docs locally - tox -e docs
○Add changed files and commit:
■git add .
Working with Git Source
• PTG Summary
• User Committee Updates
• Foundation Updates
• Kata Containers
• Self-healing SIG
OpenStack on Containers
• Deployment Tools
• Kolla-Ansible, openstack-helm, Your own tool
• Don't Do Things with Containerized OpenStack
• See no real benefit in containerized OS deployment
• What process (projects) are containerized?
• cinder-volume with ceph rbd driver
• Simplified upgrades / rollbacks
Containers on OpenStack
• deploying your containers on OpenStack
• Magnum is most used
• Pain points for using containers when you deploy and
• Magnum in Mitaka broke when CoreOS version was changed -
because of Heat templates maybe?
• Containers in VMs on openstack is inefficient compared to
containers on bare metal server
• VM -> bare metal container networking
• Bloomberg is going to use Calico (https://www.projectcalico.org)
specifically for VM <-> containers-in-k8s
Neutron pain points
• Is there any good document to understand and catch-up
current Neutron well?
• Official Docs?: https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/
• APi reference team makes api-ref newer
• I'd like to use my home router as a dhcp.
• OpenStack security groups are not rich enough to model all
policy enforcement goals for traffic.