Worksheet: The Social Media Mindset - Tapping into WHY it Matters
WORKSHEET: The Social Media Mindset:
Tapping into WHY Social Media Matters
Chrissanne Long – MSB Local
This worksheet is designed to accompany the presentation found here:
Why does your WHY matter?
Your why is your focus – it will keep you (and your employees)
When you know WHY, you can put up with any “how” and do
“what” ever it takes to overcome any challenges/objections that
might get in the way.
Your WHY enables daily progress
Your WHY inspires others to want to follow (aka “buy” from) you.
Your WHY clarifies YOUR. ONE. THING – What’s most important
to you and your organization.
Your WHY creates a culture around your brand that cultivates
These questions are designed help you identify YOUR. ONE. THING.and
maintain focus on your WHY – Your personal passion.
The value of knowing your WHY:
“Very few people or companies can clearly articulate WHY they do WHAT they
do…. By WHY I mean what is your purpose, cause or belief? WHY does your
company exist? Why do you get out of bed every morning?” - Start With Why,
Your Golden Circle: Identify your WHY, How and What.
Questions to assist in helping discover your WHY:
1. What are you seeking, what do
you want to accomplish? (Do you
want to make a difference? Do
you want to be famous? Do you
want to educate others? Better
2. How do you view/define
yourself? (A Leader, Business
Owner, teacher, coach, speaker,
service provider, IT solution,
3. Do you feel compelled in a
specific direction, a “calling” of
4. Are you seeking to get away from
something or get closer to
5. About what are you passionate
(and/or) what makes you really
6. What are you good at? What do
others say you are good at?
7. What values, character, qualities,
priorities are important to you?
8. What gives you energy during the
9. What legacy do you want to
10. Who do you admire? Who do you
choose to emulate in business and
1. Why are you in business?
2. What is the “core” offering of your
3. What are the “extra” value-added
services/products your business
4. What differentiates your business
5. What is your competitive
6. What makes a customer buy
YOUR product or service over the
7. Who is your target market? (Hint:
everyone is not your target
1. Watch Simon Sinek’s TED talk (Google “start with why” and/or
2. Complete the personal and professional assessments above.
3. Ask 5 loyal customers to answer the business assessments for
4. Write down YOUR. ONE. THING.
5. Think of 5-10 people/influencers that share your common
interest. Follow them, like them, friend them. Listen to those who
share your passion and begin cultivating your Social Media
Mindset around THIS TOPIC!
6. Optional: Enroll in a Local Facebook/Social Media 30 Day
Challenge to build the HABIT to support your WHY.
Note: The best WHY campaigns are loosely related to something that
can naturally connect your passion to your business, but this is not
necessary to begin developing your social media strategy. As
long as your WHY is clear (and strong enough) you can begin
implementing “What” and “How”
When you understand your why, there is no HOW or WHAT that will keep
you from attaining any social media (or other) goals. Seek out those who
share your passion and you will develop relationships that will propel you
forward in developing/strengthening your Social Media Mindset .