Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Marketplaces: If You Build It, They Will Come
There’s a Marketplace for that...
1995 2000 2005 2010
Two-Sided Markets: Where to Focus
• Markets have two distinct users: The service or product seller, and
• Each group beneﬁts more when the other group joins the market
• Economists: focus user acquisition on more difﬁcult group.
So the question is: Which is the more difﬁcult group to acquire?
Trends in Marketplaces
• Internet enables market efﬁciencies
• Classiﬁeds → Craigslist
• Media → iTunes
• Books → Amazon
• Social discovery furthers market efﬁciencies
• Interests → Twitter, Pinterest
• Friends → Facebook
• Jobs → LinkedIn
• Marketplaces leverage social and commerce
• Donations → Kickstarter
• e-Commerce → The Fancy
• Discounts → LivingSocial
Be the first to like this
Number of Embeds
You have now unlocked unlimited access to 20M+ documents!
Learn faster and smarter from top experts
Download to take your learnings offline and on the go
You also get free access to Scribd!
Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.
Read and listen offline with any device.
Free access to premium services like Tuneln, Mubi and more.