1. Who are the people in the photograph?
1. The women are workers for the man.
2. Adolf Hitler.
3. Police Officers, dogs, and African Americans.
4. The African American man and the Statue of Liberty.
5. Family coming to America.
6. Immigrants and Officers.
What is the situation of the people in the photograph? Provide evidence from the photo
that tells you this.
1. It looks like that they are maids or cooks because of the way they are dressed and have
aprons. The man is in nicer clothes so it looks like he is in charge. It looks like they are
working in a cellar.
2. Adolf Hitler is shaking the hand of the little boy. The women in the background are smiling.
3. The African American’s got into trouble and the police are trying to keep the peace.
4. There is an African American being hung by the Statue of Liberty.
5. It is a family that just moved to America from another country because they are looking at the
Statue of Liberty.
6. These people are getting examined. They are making sure they can come into America.
What message do you think the photographer was trying to convey?
1. That women aren’t as powerful or important.
2. That Hitler is a good person and likes children.
3. That the African Americans were seen as bad and are doing wrong.
4. The Statue of Liberty is supposed to represent freedom and this is showing that African
Americans aren’t free.
5. They moved to America for better life and to be free.
6. Prevent disease in America from incoming immigrants.
Why is this photograph important to history?
1. It’s old so it shows how women use to be treated.
2. It is showing a good side to a person who everyone else sees as bad.
3. It was during the Civil Rights Movement and it shows segregation.
4. It shows segregation in American and how African Americans weren’t free.
5. It was when immigrants were coming over in the early 1900s.
2. 6. When immigration was big in America.
What questions does this photograph raise?
1. Where are they? Who are they working for? Who is the man?
2. Is this boy Jewish? Was this picture taken before Hitler took complete power? Who are the
women in the background?
3. Why are the police there? Why were the dogs going crazy? What did the African Americans
4. Why is he hung there? Was he hung for actually doing something or because of his race?
5. Where did they come from? What year was it?
6. Who all made it through? What kind of diseases did they have? Where did they come from?
Write your own caption for the photograph:
1. “Three Women Workers.”
2. “Adolf Hitler Greets Young Boy.”
3. “Police Keep People Segregated.”
4. “Lynching in America.”
5. “Immigrants to America.”
6. “Preventing Disease in America in the Early 1900s.”
What could you do to find more information about this photograph?
1. Search the labels on the ingredients. Google the picture.
2. Google the picture. Research Adolf Hitler with children.
3. Research segregation. Civil Rights Movement. Google picture.
4. Research lynching and segregation. Google picture.
5. Research immigrants, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty.
6. Research immigrants, disease they carried, what they all had to get tested for.
3. Based on what you have observed list 3 things you might infer from the photograph
1. – The women looks like workers.
- The man looks like the boss.
- It looks like they are cooking for.
2. –Hitler likes children.
- One of the women in the back is the little boy’s mom or grandma.
- It was probably at a rally or event.
3. –The African Americans have done something wrong.
- There was an argument.
- The police responded to the scene.
4. – He is dead.
- He is African American.
- It’s at the Statue of Liberty.
5. - It’s a family.
- They are either in New York City or New Jersey.
- They just came to America.
6. – They are immigrants.
- They are getting checked out.
- They are all men.