Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Theme 4


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Theme 4

  1. 1. Theme 4: Dylan DeFatta<br />American Colonies<br />
  2. 2. <ul><li>France and Spain began to explore the coast of Florida and Nova Scotia in the sixteenth century.
  3. 3. The English began to colonized where the French and the Spanish hadn’t explored.
  4. 4. The English began to settle in Virginia, named after their queen.</li></ul>American Colonies 6-Virginia<br />
  5. 5. <ul><li>Ironically it was the poor “gamblers” that crossed the Atlantic hoping for a brighter future.
  6. 6. The “West Country men” began looking for another conquest after Ireland.
  7. 7. Their motives were to “Plant Christian religion, to trafficke, to conquer.”</li></ul>American Colonies 6- Virginia<br />
  8. 8. <ul><li>Only 5% of England was considered wealthy while the common people took up the other 95%.
  9. 9. Few commoners even had property.
  10. 10. 25 percent of the men were all that owned enough property to be allowed to vote.</li></ul>American Colonies 6- Virginia<br />
  11. 11. AMERICAN COLONIES 6- VIRGINIA<br /><ul><li>Population grew from 3 million in the 1500’s, to 4 million by 1600. The population continued to grow to 5 million by 1650.
  12. 12. 80 percent lived on farms and had livestock.
  13. 13. Many people were still jobless, and roamed the area looking for work. They were called “sturdy beggars.”</li></li></ul><li>AMERICAN COLONIES 9- Puritans and Indians<br /><ul><li>The native Indians had most of the skills the colonist had, seemingly only lacking political skills, for the most part.
  14. 14. Not all Indians spoke the same language however. They were separated into tribes determined by ethnicity and native language.
  15. 15. Their settlements could be up to a few hundred people.</li></li></ul><li>AMERICAN COLONIES 9- Puritans and Indians<br /><ul><li>Horticulture was the Indians main source of food and nourishment.
  16. 16. Indian harvests were often more substantial than the English harvests.
  17. 17. The Indians grew a large variety of vegetables, giving them more of a balanced diet.</li></li></ul><li>AMERICAN COLONIES 9- Puritans and Indians<br /><ul><li>Wars between Puritans and Indians ended in fierce death and often execution of the chiefs.
  18. 18. Puritans would enslave and sell other captured Indians.
  19. 19. Sometimes they would sell a mother and son as a slave set to be “compassionate” instead of separating them.</li></li></ul><li>AMERICAN COLONIES 9- Puritans and Indians<br /><ul><li>Some Indians were able to escape and headed north to New England or New France.
  20. 20. Puritan officials forced Indians to work and be servants.
  21. 21. The Puritan population nearly doubled in 30 years, despite the ongoing war.</li>