7 habits of agile sustainable organizations
by Alex Canizales
Start with Why Agility?
• 1. Reduce the WIP
• 2. Reduce the batch size
• 3. Use 20% of Your Time to Reduce Technical Debt
• 4. XP & Agile Engineering Practices
• 5. DevOps & CI/CD and What else?
• 6. Continuos Testing
• 7. Agile HR
Why = Purpose
What is your cause?
What’s the purpose behind your business agility?
1. Reducing risk by limiting work in
• Reduce lead time by reducing WIP (Little’s law)
• Reduce cycle time by reducing WIP
• Reduce iteration lenght
• Avoid context switching
• Limit WIP using a kanban system
2. Reduce the batch size
3. Use 20% of Your Time to Reduce
B. 4 - XP & Agile
“You can coach teams to be more engaged and
collaborative, but NO Agile framework, method, or
mindset can save you from BLATANT FAILURE if your
development team is INCOMPETENT in basic engineering
practices”. Technical excellence is a MUST!
-- Mike Beedle
B. 4 - XP & Agile Engineering Practices
“If 10 teams go five times as fast then he's got got the equivalent of 50 old teams, he’s done
it in five sprints 50 old teams means 40 free teams at seven people each, he’s got 280 people
for nothing just but that is scaling scrum you get hundred of people’s capability without hiring
a single person”
-- Jeff Sutherland
B. 5 - DevOps & CI/CD
Beyond DevOps & CI/CD:
• Decouple deployment from release
• Features toggles & Release on
• Dark launches (aka Canary Releases)
• Blue-Green Releases
B. 6 - Continuos
• Velocity is bottlenecked
• Quality is speculative
• Scaling is impossible
BUT What about Testability?
7. Agile HR
• Transforming how organizations hire, develop, and
manage their people.
• Redesigning their talent practices in the following areas:
• Performance appraisals.
• Learning and development.