The concept of sustainable tourism, including
the growth of ecotourism
• One case study of sustainable tourism in one low-
Ecotourism is defined as:
"responsible travel to natural areas that
conserves the environment, sustains the well-
being of the local people, and involves
interpretation and education" (TIES, 2015).
Principles of Ecotourism
Ecotourism is about uniting conservation,
communities, and sustainable travel. This means
that those who implement, participate in and
market ecotourism activities should adopt the
following ecotourism principles:
The World Tourism Organisation suggests that
ecotourism has five main principles :
1. Nature-based forms of tourism with the
motivation to appreciate nature as well as
culture in natural areas
3. Often specialised, and small group tours
4. Minimises negative impacts
5. Supports natural areas by creating economic
benefits for host communities (including
employment opportunities) and increasing
Same Same: Eco & Sustainable
• Both attempt to minimise the impact on the
• Both attempt to minimise the impact on local
populations. With ecotourism this might include
• Both aim to create a unique and enjoyable
experience for tourists.
• Both aim to educate tourists about responsible
• Both hope to be sustainable over the long-term.
But Different: Eco & Sustainable
• Ecotourism is usually on a smaller scale, whereas
sustainable tourism can be on a much larger scale
• Sustainable tourism also focuses on the economic
needs of areas
• Ecotourism is usually to remote areas of natural
beauty, where sustainable tourism can be to any
location e.g. cities or beaches
• Ecotourism usually involves physical activity.
• Ecotourism is a type of tourism that is included
under the umbrella of sustainable tourism
Homework Long Response Question
Using examples from LICs evaluate whether
ecotourism is an effective strategy to
manage and sustain the growing global
• Two page max. Use resources on adorngeo/google classroom.
• Intro – define key terms, introduce main ideas, including the
purpose of ecotourism.
• Paragraphs that follow – divide up into benefits/drawbacks for
the natural environment/people.
• Include relevant case studies and specific examples
• Conclusion – on balance, is it an effective strategy?