Teaching Indonesian Pre-service Teachers to implement Technology in their Classes
Teaching Indonesian Pre-service
Teachers to implement Technology
in their Classes
Hardi Prasetyo, Indonesia
Colloquium WorldCALL 2013
• KPE 348 Computer Assisted Language
– One of the elective courses offered for semester
six students of English Language Education Study
Program, Sanata Dharma
University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
– The students are trained to be teachers, but none
of them, wants to be teacher.
– There were eleven students in this class (the
number of the students is decreasing every year)
• The students do not know how to use
technology in their classrooms. Partly, it is
– Low motivation to become teachers
– No earlier internship program (teaching in the real
classroom setting): the internship program is
conducted in the following semester.
– However, they have methodology courses in the
previous semesters and a teaching practicum in
the same semester.
• Inspired by Webheads, I develop a course site
for KPE 348 CALL subject
– I provided a model for them how to integrate
technology (in this case Wiki) in their classrooms.
– I asked them to write their (simple) lesson
plan, detailing especially their steps in integrating
technology, which will help their students attain
the learning objectives/indicators.
– Every week, we conducted a workshop where:
• the students are working on their lesson plan (most of
the time they do it at home/outside the class),
• After that presenting their lesson plan, and/or
• teaching their peer using their lesson plan
• Followed by Feedback session
• Revising their lesson plan.