3 PHASE ENERGY METER
PRESENTED BY – SUMIT VYAS
B.TECH (E.C) , UVPCE , KHERVA
ROLL NO – 10012061195
INTERNAL GUIDE : EXTERNAL GUIDE :
MR. V. K. PATEL MR. SUHANT RAVAL
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR HEAD(R & D)
UVPCE , KHERVA MASIBUS, GANDHINAGAR
WHY MSP430F47197 ?
• The MSP430F47197 devices belongs to MSP430F4xx
family. These devices find its application in Energy
measurement and have the necessary architecture to
• MSP430F47197 is a ULTRA low power MCU.
• MSP430F47197 have a powerful 16Mhz CPU.
• It has 120KB flash memory and 4KB of RAM.
• Von-neumann architecture
• 16 bit hardware multiplier
• Low supply voltage range : 1.8V to 3.6V
• This 16 bit RISC CPU is specially targeted to single phase
electricity meters with 7 channel 16 bit sigma-delta A/D
ANALOG FRONT END CAHNNEL
• The Analog front end consist of up to seven analog to digital
converters (ADC) based on 2nd order sigma-delta architecture.
That supports differential inputs.
• The sigma delta ADCs that have a resolution of 16 bits can be
configured and grouped together for simultaneous sampling of
voltages and currents on the same trigger.
• Figure depicts the block diagram that shows the high level
interface used for a three-phase energy meter application. A
three-phase four wire star connection to the mains is shown in
• Current transformers are connected to each of the current
channels and a simple voltage divider is used for
corresponding voltages. Each CT has an associated burden
• The choice of the
CT and the burden
resistor is done
based on the
required for energy
choice of voltage
divider resistors for
each voltage channel
is selected to ensure
the mains voltage is
divided down to
adhere to the normal
input ranges that are
valid for the MSP430
• The software for the implementation of 3-phase
metrology is discussed in this section. the entire
metrology software is described as two major
1. Foreground process.
2. Background process.
• The foreground process includes the initial setup of
the MSP430 HW and SW immediately after a device
• The Background process is mainly deals with
• Flowcharts for both FOREGROUND &
BACKGROUND processes is given below
• ZigBee is a specification for a suite of high level
communication protocols used to create personal area
networks built from small, low-power digital radios.
• ZigBee is an open global standard built on the IEEE
• ZigBee is used in applications that require a low data rate,
long battery life, and secure networking.
• . ZigBee has a defined rate of 250 Kbit/s, best suited for
periodic or intermittent data or a single signal transmission
from a sensor or input device.
• The technology defined by the ZigBee specification is
intended to be simpler and less expensive than
other WPANs, such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
WHY ZigBee ?
• Lowest in Weight:40g
• Operating Frequency:2.4-2.5GHz ISM band
• Line of sight:1 to 1.2 km
• RF data rate:250 kbps
• Transmit power output:6.3mW
• Receiver sensitivity:-102 dB
• Supply voltage:2.1-3.6v
• Operating current:45mA(transmit)
• Operating current:33mA(receive)
• Nw. topologies: point-to-point, point-to-
multipoint, peer-to-peer, mesh
• Interface options:UART,SPI
SPECIFICTION OF ZIGBEE MODULE
DATA RATE 20,40 &
11 & 54
1 Mbits/s 100-500
10 meters < 10
peer , Star
2.4 GHZ &
2.4 GHZ 3.1-10.6
COMPLEXITY Low High High Medium
Very Low High Medium Low
• Info services
• Asset mgt.
• Energy mgt.
o Industrial Plant
• Pressure sensors
o Home Automation
• Light switches
• Window shade
• Heating unit
• X-CTU Software is used to operate xbee modules.
• Where we can change various setting for module and
can take work as our requirement.
• There are 4 windows in X-CTU Software.
1. PC setting
2. Modem configuration
4. Range test
• My first task was to design new schematic & PCB
design for the Module. For that I have used ORCAD
• Basically there are 4 layers
1) Top Layer 2) Bottom Layer
3) Top silk screen layer 4) Bottom silk screen layer
PCB DESIGNING : ORCAD 10.0
TOP Silk Screen Layer BOTTOM Silk Screen Layer
• Up to I done My Work in time bounding and I have
measured parameters like Vrms , Irms and Apparent
Power. Further we can implement Various Parameters.
We can do work on Active power , Reactive power ,
Power factor , Frequency, Real time clock, LCD
interfacing, Energy calculation etc. & can make smart
• With such type of modern communication one can think
about making more advanced in terms of prepayment
system. This type of communication can be deployed at
every level of application which will be suitable in terms
of technical specification. This makes less effort and
reduces time taken by a system.
• My learning phase is started with 3-Phase energy
meter. During this period I learnt PCB designing ,
working of 3-Phase Energy Meter and the MCU
MSP430F47197 and Embedded C programming.
• Also I learnt communication protocol that are uses in
industries like ZigBee.
• By using Energy meter we can get all type of energy
calculations and by using ZigBee we can think about
making more advanced in terms of prepayment system.