Romania is placed between Central and Southeastern Europe. The
country fascinates by its history, the strange legends, mystical forests
and rough mountain areas. With this series of ebooks, the reader should
get closer impressions about the country. It is not a simple travel guide,
but a picture book, which seeks to stimulate your own discoveries.
The Little Vienna and City of Roses and Parks.
Today Timisoara is a cosmopolitan city with lots of charm and thriving
culture. His sights are relatively new and were built after the liberation of
the city from the Ottomans in 1716 and later, after the revolution in
1848. Emperor Josef II, Franz I of Austria and Franz Josef visited the
town. In 1809 the Austrian treasury has been placed here to protect
them from the French. Due to the loyalty of the city during the
Revolution of 1848,-the Habsburg Emperor Franz Josef has traveled to
Timisoara in 1853 to attend the inauguration of the victory monument
Timisoara is a modern multicultural city characterized by its Baroque
and Art Nouveau buildings. The hallmark Timisoara’s is his tolerance,
his close cohesion and peaceful coexistence of different minorities,
cultures and religions with full respect and understanding towards
others. The city at the Bega Canal is the only city with three theaters in
three languages (Romanian, German and Hungarian). Timisoara has
evolved has not only culturally and economically, but also as a
university city. Until today Timisoara is called "Little Vienna", a name
that bear the inhabitants with full pride. This name owes to the city
both its buildings and its charm.
Timisoara is also very fond of its second
nickname: "City of Roses and Parks."
Among the most popular sons of the city include the famous actor
Johnny Weissmuller ("First Tarzan"), the longest serving director of the
Vienna State Opera, Ioan Holender and the Austrian director Robert
You have to experience the charm of this city.
Dipl. Econ. Simion Giurca
Romanian Tourist Office
1010 Vienna - Austria
After Bucharest, Timisoara is the second largest city in Romania. "Little
Vienna" presents itself friendly, cosmopolitan and worth visiting at any
time of a year. Timisoara is the capital of the district Timis and the
cultural and economic center of the Banat. The city is divided into 10
districts and has about 300,000 inhabitants.
The long afﬁliation with the Austro-Hungarian
monarchy lives on in about 15,000 buildings
painted in the noble Schoenbrunn Yellow or
the Pastel Colors of the time.
Many buildings look even more impressive,
when they are dipped in light at night.
Electric street lighting is available in
Timisoara since December 1884.
Romania’s ﬁrst brewery was opened in
Timisoara in 1718, it was also the ﬁrst
company in the country which has been
privatized (1727). Today, the brewery is part
of the SABMiller Group.
1745 the ﬁrst municipal hospital of the
country went into operation in Timisoara.
The ﬁrst horse-drawn tram in Romania and in
all of Southern Europe started in 1869.
Timisoara has always been ahead of its time
and has set many new standards.
WORLD'S LARGEST BEER MUG
6 meters high, a capacity of 11,000 liters and
a weight of 2.5 tons; these are the key
ﬁgures of the world record beer mug on
display in Timisoara.
The city has a pleasing size, with easily
surmountable distances. The excellent public
transport and very inexpensive taxis help all "City
Explorers" to overcome even longer distances
quickly and effortless.
Depending on the time of the year, you can either
warm up in one of the friendly cafes, restaurants
and pubs, or settle down in a sunny or shady
spot in one of the exciting locations.
A stroll is best to start in the city center, where the
local Tourist Ofﬁce is right next to the Opera
House (looking towards the Opera the ofﬁce is on
the right side, in Alba Iulia Street).
At the Tourist Ofﬁce you can obtain a free map of
all main attractions of Timisoara.
The Banat is a historical region in
Central Europe, which is now in
the States, Romania, Serbia and
Hungary. The term Banat derives
from the territory which was gov-
erned by a-Ban (Count).
As in all of Romania, religion is of great importance in Timisoara.
Particularly noticeable is the vast number of different churches and
faiths that are found here on a relatively narrow space. Openness and
tolerance are demonstrated exemplary in Timisoara. Here you will ﬁnd a
small summary of these remarkable sites.
Right opposite the Piata 700 you’ll ﬁnd the
small chapel, which was built in 1801. In the
period of the communist regime, the chapel
was misused, but again set up in 1999 as a
church. The wonderfully detailed paintings
are simply stunning.
CATHEDRAL OF SAINT GEORGE
The foundation stone of the cathedral was
laid in 1736. The cathedral has been build in
the masterly style of Fischer von Erlach.
Because of the Russo-Austrian Turkish War,
the building was completed only in 1774.
Two architects from Timisoara Johann
Theodor Kostka Edler and Carl Alexander
Steinlein completed the cathedral. The main
altar is from the director of the Vienna
Academy of Fine Arts, Michel Angelo
SYNAGOGUE IN THE CITY
Unfortunately, the synagogue in the city
center is closed for years and only to be
admired from outside. It was built 1863-1865
according to the plans of the Viennese
architect Ignatz Schuhmann. The synagogue
has a capacity of about 3,000 people,
making it one of the largest synagogues in
CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY THREE HIERARCHS
The foundation stone was laid in 1936 and the building was
completed in 1940. The cathedral is dedicated to Holy Three
Hierarchs, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus and John
Chrysostom. Architect of the tallest building of Timisoara (96 m),
was Ioan Traianescu. The enormous building, consists out of 11
towers, it has been built on marshy ground and therefore stands on
more than 1,000 concrete pillars.
Atanasie Demian painted the interior of the cathedral; the
Iconostasis is the work of Stefan I. Goja, it is gold plated and carved
out of linden wood. The surface area of the work of art is 135 m².
In the basement is an exhibition of ancient religious art. The bones
of the Saint Ion cel Nou de la Pártos, the Patron Saint of the
Romanian Orthodox believers in the Banat are kept here.
The impressive religious house was created according to the plans
of architect Ludwig Ybl. It has a capacity of 3,000 believers and was
erected from 1896 to 1901. About 4 million bricks were used to
build this Neo-Romanesque landmark,
which also includes some Gothic
The monumental altar painting of the
largest Catholic Church in Timisoara
comes from George Vastag and shows
Mary with a crown and scepter, and the
infant Jesus in her arms.
The church was established late 1901
to mark the millennium celebrations of
the Kingdom of Hungary and
inaugurated by Bishop Alexander III.
CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY
The building was built in the Baroque Style and
was originally home to the Roman Catholic
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
After the construction of the Millennium Church,
this holy house was donated to the Greek
Catholic parish in Fabric.
The Hungarian Reformed Church was named
after the nearby statue of the Virgin Mary. The
statue was erected in memory of the leader of the
Transylvanian peasant revolt of 1514 (György
Doja). The church itself was built in 1902, built in
the style of English Gothic.
The church so far has also great signiﬁcance in
the recent history of Romania, as it was the
starting point of the revolution of 1989.
The sermons of the pastor of the church, Laszlo
Tokes, which showed the poor conditions in the
country, eventually led to his transfer. Since he
refused to be silent and move to another
community, an attempt had been made to remove
him by force.
The use of violence against the pastor and the
solidarity of the population eventually set the
spark and started the revolution
REFORMED CHURCH ON MARY
The Bega, also called Bega Channel is a Romanian-Serbian River, a little
over 250 km long. It rises in the Carpathian Mountains and ﬂows near
Titel in the Serbian province of Vojvodina in the Tisa. The Tisa in turn
ﬂows into the Danube. The Bega has a gradient of only 18 cm per
kilometer and is channeled over long distances and usually navigable.
Count Claudius Florimund Mercy led the
channeling of Bega under the technical
supervision of military professionals in the
years 1727-1733. That was a huge technical
achievement for its time. By dehumidifying
the swamps, the Banat Heath became a very
The area around Timisoara was very boggy
at this time, so the construction and
regulation of Bega was ﬁnally also the
reclamation of the land. This also led to the
termination of Malaria, against the settlers of
this region had to ﬁght.
Over the years, the channel has been
extended and always repaired. In 1958 the
ship trafﬁc with the neighboring states was
stopped, and in 1967 the entire commercial
use of the channel ceased.
Since 2011, the channel is partially navigable
and ﬁnishing work is in progress. If the
channel starts operating again, Timisoara will
become a port of the Pan-European Corridor
VII. Timisoara would be connected to other
harbors from the North Sea to the Black Sea.
The Union Square is unofﬁcially referred to as Cathedral Square. The
historically valuable Unirii Square is the oldest square in the city and is
situated in the center of Cetate, the ﬁrst district, within the limits of the
former fortress. The pastel colors of the churches and palaces, which
were mostly built in the 18th and 19th Century, create a very special
The building is also known as “Presidential
Palace”, “Old Prefecture” or “House of the
County”. The stately palace consists of two ﬂoors
and has a loft.
The palace originally consisted of two buildings,
the Mine Ofﬁce (1733) and Army Fund (1735).
Between 1752 and 1754 it was converted into a
Austrian architect Franz Anton Hillebrandt
designed the building, based on the famous
Palais Kinsky in Vienna.
Since 1984 the palace houses the Museum of Art
Timisoara (Muzeul de Arta).
The Art Department of the Banat Museum resides
at Palatul Baroc since 2005.
THE ELEPHANTS HOUSE
The city architect László Székely built the “Brueck
House” in 1910. It originated in Eclecticism Style
combined with elements of Baroque and Art
Nouveau. On the back, towards Mercy Street is
the “Emmer House”.
The middle of the three buildings is the former
home of Lazar Lazarovits. For the ﬁrst time a two-
storey house was mentioned in 1752 at this
location. Between the world wars, an additional
storey was added. The third building is "The
Elephants House", named after a very famous
guest and host house, which was located there.
First mentioning of a building at this location dates
back to 1746.
The "Lazarovits" and "La Elefant" were rebuilt in
the 80s of the last century. The architect Serban
Sturza created a new facade in an eclectic
MAX STEINER PALACE
The ﬁrst building on this spot
was mentioned in 1752. The
owner Max Steiner built the
current palace in 1908. It in-
cluded, among other things,
the former Bank of Discount
At the moment, the facade of the Serbian
Orthodox Episcopal See is being renovated. The
building was built in 1747. The facade was rebuilt
in 1906 in "Neoserbian Style."
In the middle of the three historic buildings is the
impressive Serbian Orthodox Cathedral. This was
built in 1744 – 1748. Very impressive is the
baroque façade of the Cathdral, facing Ungureanu
At the far right is the house of the Serb
community, which was built about 1821. Many
commercial enterprises and businesses used this
location. Also Serbs of public life had ofﬁces here.
The architect Serban Sturdza directed the
reconstruction of the house in 1983.
CASA COMUNITǍŢII SÂR-
The Franz Josef Barracks was in his history
always a "purpose built", which was either the
accommodation or training of soldiers. Since a
few years, lots of discussions regarding the
possibilities of building a modern ﬁve-star hotel in
its place are held.
Over the past, the building was also called “U-
Barracks” or “Vienna Barracks”
Up to the date on which the politicians, architects,
investors and anyone else who "wants to be part
of the deal" the building is used as a "canvas" for
In its long history, this is the most peaceful task of
the relatively dilapidated and not very attractive
HOUSE WITH LIONS
The historic baroque monument on the
northwestern part of the square was ﬁrst
mentioned in 1758. Its present form is received on
the occasion of the restoration beginning in 1900.
The name of the cottage arose from the two lions,
located on the roof. Unfortunately the lions are
heavily weathered. Under the gables, four swords
to cross a "W", this coat of arms was the symbol
of the owners, the Weiss family. Two grifﬁns ﬂank
the coat of arms.
Over the years the building housed numerous
businesses. Some of the very famous names
were for example: The tavern "Golden Sun", the
shops "To White Dog" and later "To the Great
The House with the Lions is also known under the
name "House Weiss " or "Business Building -
CASA CU LEI
THE SEVEN ELECTORS
LENAU HIGH SCHOOL
Located on the south side of the square, was the
ﬁrst hotel in Timisoara: "The Seven electors." It
was one of the most famous restaurants in the
city and known far beyond the borders.
The building was built around 1752. It is only
documented that there was a construction site on
this property at this time point. From 1995 to
1996 the building was renovated according to
plans of architect Lucia Pfaff.
In 1870, the ﬁrst school opened in the building, it
was the "Scoala superioara regala Maghiara de
stat" (Royal Hungarian State University),
Over the years, many different school activities
took place at this building. From 1955 onwards a
division of the Liceul Teoretic Nikolaus Lenau
(Lenau High School) is located there.
HOUSE JOHANN SZERVINATZ
HOUSE COSTA NICA
The ﬁrst building of the so-called "Group of
Canonical Houses" is the House Johann
Szerviantz, where in 1847 the inn was "The Three
Hussars" was located.
The building itself ﬁrst appeared in 1758 on the
map. Originally, probably until 1849, the entire
building was divided into four separate houses.
The original facade of the building matched the
Austrian baroque style; the individual buildings
appear after the renovation in classical style.
The second house is the so-called "House Costa
CANONICAL HOUSES SEC XVIII
Today you’ll ﬁnd ofﬁces and coffee shop in the
partially restored houses. When you look at the
buildings today, you see many ﬂourishes and
ornaments. Optical elements and bright colors
were used to beautify the buildings and make
them more impressive.
The penultimate House has no name; it is only
referred to as Canonical House Sec XVIII.
The last building is the so-called "House
Krautwaschl". It takes its name from Franz
Krautwaschl, who was owner of the house in
Over the years, here was the coffee "La Strut", a
bank and the ofﬁces of various political parties.
The roman number MCMLXXX on the roof gables
the stands for 1980.
The Cathedral was built
1736-1774 in the masterly
style of J.E. Fischer von
Erlach the Younger.
In front of the Cathedral
there is the Plague or Trinity
Sﬁntei Treimi / Monumentul
Ciumei). The column was
created in Vienna by
sculptor Georg Raphael
Donner from 1739 to 1740.
The transport to Timisoara
happened over waterways.
Between the cathedral and
Plague Column is a 400 m
deep Artesian fountain.
The Banatian "Swabian bank" moved here in
1920. Before this time, the "Economic Bank
South-Hungary" had a branch here. The building
was ﬁrst mentioned in 1812. Emericus (Emmerich)
Oszlányi was the owner of the house in 1828.
Late in 1904, the architect László Székely
undertook the modiﬁcation towards Art Nouveau
The “Swabian Bank” and the “House
Prenner” (Bremer) already existed in 1812.
Wolfgang Prenner (Wolfgang Bremer) was the
owner of the building in 1828.
In 1848 two businesses, a carpentry and a
locksmith were located on the ground ﬂoor. After
1900 the building was raised by one storey.
HOUSE PRENNER / BREMER
The Victory Square (Piata Victoriei), also called Opera Square (Piata
Operei) is the present city center of Timisoara. With many cafes, the
opera, restaurants and wide roads, this area has become the most
famous square of the city.The square in its current expansion was
established approximately in 1910.
It has 711 seats and is one
of the landmarks of the city.
In the right wing of the
building the German and
Hungarian State Theatres
are housed. These theaters
offer 100 seats.
In 1875 the architects
Hermann Helmer and
Ferdinand Fellner the
younger created “The
Palace of Culture”. The
original facade was
destroyed by ﬁre in 1920
and built partially new
under the architect Duiliu
Marcu. The State Opera
House Timisoara was
founded in 1946.
During the Revolution of
1989 ﬂaming speeches
were made on the
assembled crowds from
The building, which is also
called Chateau Loefﬂer or
Loefﬂer Palace was completed
In his time, the palace had very
advanced features. It has three
ﬂoors with 64 apartments with a
total of 142 rooms; six lifts,
including three for staff
facilitated the visit of the upper
ﬂoors. Many major companies
and the authorities had their
headquarters in the Palais
Loefﬂer. The popular coffee
Cafeneaua Bulevard was at the
TOWARDS THE CATHE-
If you walk past the Palais
Loefﬂer, towards the cathedral,
you'll ﬁrst pass the Palace of the
Chamber of Commerce and
then the row of two residential
and commercial buildings
constructed in 1961.
The Chamber of Commerce in
1850 established by the decree
of the Austrian Emperor Franz
Joseph I. and had its ﬁrst seat in
the Lloyd's Palace. In 1933, the
institution then moved into its
The authorities banned the
Chamber of Commerce in 1949,
but a year after the Revolution,
in1990, it was the ﬁrst regional
Chamber of Commerce, which
started operating again.
In the middle of the square is a
small park, where there are
three monuments. Particularly
noteworthy is the Capitoline
Wolf (Lupoaica Capitolină),
which is a gift from the city of
Rome from 1926.
It is a replica of the Lupa
Capitolina, and is intended to
show the common Latin roots of
Italian and Romanian people.
The bronze stands on a 4.96 m
high column and is one of the
landmarks of the city.
Other monuments include the
Fountain with Fish, made of
bronze, which was founded in
1957 and in front of the
cathedral the Skuålptur
Cruciﬁcare, the broken cross,
dedicated to the victims of the
revolution of 1989. The
sculpture is the work of Paul
It was built in 1910-1912 under Lipót Baumhorn.
Lloyd's of London with an exchange market for
agricultural goods were accommodated on the
ﬁrst ﬂoor. In the second and third ﬂoor apartments
The architects László Székely and Anton Merbl
constructed the very impressive building for the
Weiss family in 1912. Similar to Palais Lloyd it is
impressed by Eclecticism Style with Baroque and
Art Nouveau elements.
Built in 1928 to 1929 after plans of the architects
László Székely and Mathias Hubert. In 1975 to
1978 a new building holding the hotel lobby
expanded the hotel. Further investments in the
hotel are planned for the coming years.
If you are planning to relax culturally in Timisoara, then there are many
variations and possibilities.
Apart from the Opera, the Hungarian and the German Theater, the Banat
Philharmonic is a cultural landmark of the region.
CULTURE & MORE
The original association maintained mainly a
men's choir and dealt with the holding of solo
concerts. Topics such as chamber music,
symphony, oratorio and mixed choirs were
provided in the statutes. The orchestra was
renamed in 1947 in Banatul Philharmonic
Orchestra and subsequently in Banatul
At the beginning the concerts were held in the
Opera. Since 1969 the annual festival of the Banat
Philharmonic (initially every two years) the
“Timisoara Muzicala” takes place. Onwards from
1981 there is also the annual Festival “George
Enescu Musical Days” (Zilele muzicale George
End of 2006, the building of the former Capitol
Cinema was legally pledged to the Ministry of
Culture. The Banat Philharmonic uses the Capitol
since that time.
The Banat Philharmonic (Filarmon-
ica Banatul) emerged from the
Philharmonic club founded in Timi-
soara in 1871.
Markets, shops, modern shopping centers or dreamy shopping streets
in Timisoara you can shop all the way you are feeling (and budgeting).
The ﬂower market at Piata 700 is very colorful. Many elaborate
arrangements are created here, specially customized for any occasion.
From ﬂowers to vegetables and fruits, here
you will ﬁnd a large selection of local and
exotic goods. The market got its name in
1966, in which the seven-hundredth birthday,
of the in 1266 ﬁrst mentioned Piata 700 was
IULIUS MALL TIMIȘOARA
Modern, three-story complex, shopping
center with 330 shops, grocery hypermarket,
cinema, 20 restaurants, swimming pool and
ﬁtness center. The center has 2,500 parking
spaces. From Union Square (Piata Unirii) the
centre is reachable on foot in 15 minutes
(less the a mile).
BEGA SHOPPING CENTER
Bega Shopping Center was the ﬁrst
shopping center in the city. It is located right
next to the Hotel Continental and houses 42
shops, including a large grocery store in the
Select your hotel according to your individual requirements. For
meetings and if a large room and personal service for you are valuable,
the Lido is recommended. If you want everything under one roof, gym,
swimming pool and an integrated casino, then you will be staying at the
Continental. Central for visiting the Opera, if you want to go just across
HOTEL & MEETING
the street, then Hotel Timisoara will be your
ﬁrst choice. Of course, there are other hotels
in Timisoara, for more hotels please consult
your regional Romanian Tourism Ofﬁce.
Boulevard Iosif Bulbuca Nr. 20
+40 256 407373
HOTEL & MEETING
Hospitality is a priority in
Timisoara. In this sum-
mary, three hotels were
described. The offer is of
course much larger and
bids all visitors a wide
range of possibilities.
In many countries, there are Romanian Tourist Ofﬁces. Here is a current
list of all ofﬁces, with addresses, telephone and fax numbers, websites
and email addresses.
Romanian Tourist Office
Opera Ring 1, R Staircase,
Floor 4, Door 404
Tel: +43 (1) 317-31-57
Fax: +43 (1) 317-31-574
Office de Tourisme de Roumanie
7, Rue Gaillon
Tel: +33 (1) 40-20-99-33
Fax: +33 (1) 40-20 99-43
Romanian Tourist Office
Tel: +49 (30) 400-55-904
Fax: +49 (30) 400-55-906
Romanian Tourist Office
12 Harley Street
Tel: +44 (207) 224-36-92
Turismo della Romania
Via Torino 95, Galleria Esedra
Tel: +39 (6) 488-02-67
Fax: +39 (6) 4898-62-81
Ośrodek informacji Turystycznej Rumunii
Krakowskie Przedmieście 47/51
Tel / fax: +48 (22) 826-40-10
Romanian Tourist Office
Masfilmovskaya Street 35,
Tel: +7 (499) 143-87-65
Fax: +7 (499) 143-86-72
Romanian Tourist Office
Calle Alcántara 49-51
Tel: +34 (91) 401-42-68
Fax: +34 (91) 402-71-83
Romanian Tourist Office
355 Lexington Avenue, 8th Floor
Tel / Fax: +1 (212) 545-8484
At the end of the eBook is the legendary restaurant "The Trumpeter",
which was built in 1750. It was one of the most famous Inns of the Banat
and numerous personalities stayed in it. On the following pages are
various photos and information material from Timisoara.
The Avenue of personalities (Aleea
Personalitǎților) is located in the central
park of Timisoara. Currently, you can
admire the 16 busts of famous people.
The festive opening took place on 3rd
August 2009. This day has great
signiﬁcance for Timisoara: on 3rd August
1919 Romanian troops marched under
the Commander Virgil Economu in the city.
This marked the end of the Hungarian rule
and the introduction of a Romanian
Deliu Petroiu (1922 - 2008)
THE 10 DISTRICTS
I. Inner City - Chetatea
II. Factory town - Fabric
III. Elizabeth City - Elisabetin
IV. Josefstadt - Iosefin
V. Mehala - Mehala
VI. Fratelia - Fratelia
VII. Free village - Freidorf
VIII. Kardos colony - Plopi
IX. New Giroda - Ghiroda Nouă
X. Red Tavern - Ciarda Roşie
A Pasarela de la Uzina
B Podul Mihai Viteazul
C Podul Dacilor
D Podul Decebal
E Pasarela dintre Parcuri
F Podul Michelangelo
G Podul Tinereții
H Podul Traian
I Podul de Fier
J Podul Ștefan cel Mare
K Podul Eroilor
L Podul Muncii
M Pasarela Gelu
N Podul Modoș
Trolley Bus Lines
Express Bus Lines
Metropolitan Bus Lines
Previously photographs were mainly developed in a chemical process
after they were taken. Today the developing is a matter of using digital
tools. I am not sitting in front of the computer for hours to digitally
change photographs entirely.
Each photograph is exact as it was shoot, there are no background
changes and or Photoshop operations. Sometimes I am using Nikon
NX2 or Photoshop to straighten a photograph, or to reduce the effects
created by using lenses like a ﬁsheye.
For me, one of the greatest effects are HD-tools. High Deﬁnition let me
create the photograph in that way, in which I’ve seen it and in which way
I want to present it.
Nearly all photographs in this eBook were ﬁnished with HDR Projects
Platin from Franzis in Germany. This software allows experimenting
and playing with the images. A great feature is the possibility to create
outstanding effects even using only a single photograph.
All my photographs are taken in RAW-format and HDR Projects Platin
handles this format without converting or any additional steps.
More Information about HDR Projects Platin you’ll ﬁnd directly on the
website of Franzis. hdrprojects.de