First GHOU/GTTP Internet-Mediated Workshop in Kampala by Ghazali Mohammed
Space and Astronomy Uganda
• Country Proﬁle
• The role of SAU (Space and Astronomy
Uganda) in Outreach
• In Pictures
In a nutshell!
• Lies on the equator
• At about 800 kilometers inland from the Indian
• Extends from 1o south to about 4o north and 30o
to 35o east.
• Bordered from the north by Sudan, west by
DemocraticRepublic of Congo, east by Kenya,
and south by Tanzania and Rwanda.
• Land surface area of 241,139 square kilometers
• Population ~ 32 million (2011)
The role of SAU in Astronomy Outreach
• School Outreach Programs
• Public Outreach
• Enabled the first ever Internet Mediated
GHOU/GTTP workshop in Kampala
• Strategies & Conclusion
Strategies & Conclusion
• IAU Strategic Plan 2010–2020
• Promoting STEAM Education
• Looking for schools interested in joining
the Science Opera Program
• Introduction of Astronomy into the
Curriculum in collaboration with the
National Curriculum Development
Center in Kampala.
• Promotion of Astronomy Clubs in
• More Teacher training workshops in Uganda