Office of Sustainability: Overview of Initiatives
● The 2016 Brandeis University Climate
○ Reduce carbon emissions by 10% by FY18,
15% by FY 2020
○ FY18, we surpassed our goal and
reduced emissions by 12.6%
● Recent developments
○ Brandeis Catering Services: Now all-
○ Increasing compost locations
○ Campus switch to recycled content
○ LED lighting projects across campus 2
● In the works
○ Tesla battery storage demonstration
○ Investigating procurement of 100%
renewable electricity for campus
○ Annual move-out donation program
Green Office Certification
2. Fill out checklist & send back
3. Display your medal!
We can help with…
● Composting in your kitchen
● Switching to compostable coffee service
● Holding green events
● Reducing bottled water/ Poland Spring
● And more!
Spiritual & Religious Life
Hiatt Career Center
Conference & Events
● Diverts food
● Breaks down
waste much faster
● Creates nutrient-
rich soil, which
can be used
fertilizers in plant
● It’s the law!
● Black Earth
Our compost facility: Black Earth Compost
Hiking on compost
Temperatures reach over 150F!
Catering has gone compostable!
Make your events even greener by:
● Following the Green Event Guidelines
● Using the Sodexo Green Menu
○ Climate-friendlier choices pulled from regular
○ No beef or individually-bottled beverages
● Example: Sandwich buffet product instead
of boxed lunches = less trash!