1-Ummah in Quran• Dua of Ibrahim (A) and Ismail (A):
1. The Ummah in QuranEmergence of Ummah: When Allah(SWT) accepted the du’a ofSyedina Ibrahim and Syedina Isma‟il alayhemassalat wassalam:“Our Lord. Make us Muslims to you, and make out of our decedentsa community (ummah) that submits itself to you, and show us theways of your worship and turn to us in mercy. You are the off-returning, Most-Merciful.Our Lord send amongst them a messenger of their own who shallreherse your ayat (signs) to them and instruct them in the Book andWisdom and sametify them, for you are the Exalted in Might, theWise. (al-Baqarah 2:128-129)
Meaning of the word Ummah• Global brotherhood (Hizb or Jamaah) with common ideology of Islam as a way of life• Common beliefs, message and mission• Leadership based on Iman and Taqwah• Matters run by Shura• Mutual brotherhood and love• System of accountability or Muhasibah• Justice for all
Differences with races and nations• Jews claim they are • This is mostly based on Allahs chosen people to ethnic, common descent this day and racial background• Nationalists claim their • This is based on nation is the best and common descent, color, the most civilized. race, language or area• Islamic Ummah • Based on the belief in Allah and enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil.
Belief and Actions Shall Determine the Success or Failure• It will not be in accordance with your desires (Muslims), nor those of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), whosoever works evil, will have the recompense thereof, and he will not find any protector or helper besides Allah, Whoever does righteous good deeds, male or female, and is a true believer in the Oneness of Allah (Muslim), such will enter Paradise and not the least injustice, even to the size of a Naqira (speck on the back of date-stone), will be done to them.“ Nisa, 5:123-124
Aqeedah or Iman- the foundation of Ummah• "So set you (O Muhammad) your face towards the Deen of pure Islamic Monotheism haneefa, Fitrah of Allah, with which He has created mankind. No change let there be in Allahs creation, that is the straight deen…“Room,:30• Quran was revealed for thirteen years in Makkah about one subject; the Aqeedah• The prophet (S) spent thirteen years in Makkah building this foundation and strengthening it and reinforcing it so that it can support this huge building of Ummah
2. The Ummah of the middle path and witness to mankind:“And it is then that We appointed you to be the community of the middle way (ummatan wasatan) so that you might be witness to all mankind and the messenger might be a witness to you” (al-Baqarah 2:143)
Meaning of Ummah Wasat• According to a hadith reported by al-Tirmidhi from the blessed Companion Abu Said al-Khudri, the word Wasat is to be interpreted as "just" - in the sense of being "the best" (Qurtubi).• Islamic Ummah has the unparalleled distinction of being moderate, balanced and just - in short, it occupies the central position among all the Ummahs.
Moderation explained by Islamic Scholars• Imaam Ibn Al-Atheer said: "Every good manner has two extreme and bad sides. For example, generosity• Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah said, "Islam as a religion is the midpoint among all other religions.• Imaam Ibn Al-Qayyim said: "Always encourage people to take a moderate stand, because it will rescue you from transgression.• Imaam Ash-Shaatibee said: "All matters of Deen and its obligations came to man in the most moderate way, so that man could apply those obligations without severe hardship or too much leniency.
How the Ummah will be a witness over the mankind?• Firstly - this Ummah will be a witness over mankind in this life by establishing justice, and also by providing people with the most accurate scale that has been given by Allah.• Secondly - this Ummah will be a witness over mankind on the Day of Resurrection. On this day, there will be some nations that will deny that the message was ever conveyed to them. So the Muslim Ummah will come forth as a witness to support the messengers.
3. Best Ummah“You are now the best ummah brought forth for mankind. You enjoin what is right (ma’ruf) and forbid what is wrong (munkar) and believe in Allah” (al-i-’Imran 3:110)
Ahadith of the Prophet about Khair Ummah 1-You are the final of seventy nations. You‟re the best and mosthonored amongst them before Allah (SWT).(Tirmidhi)2-I was given what no other Prophet before me was given.) We said, `O Messenger of Allah! What is it He said,• «• I was given victory by fear, I was given the keys of the earth, I was called Ahmad, the earth was made a clean place for me (to pray and perform Tayammum with it) and my Ummah was made the best Ummah.„(Tirmidhi)
This Ummah is brought for the whole humanity• The phrase: "raised for mankind." (3:110) means:• To work for the good of entire humanity• Help the humanity find the right way to salvation and to Paradise,• To guide people towards good deeds• To dissuade them from evil deeds.• This role of the Islamic Ummah is explained very succinctly in a hadith: : "Religion consists in having the good of others at heart"
Ummah‟s goals• The first goal is that this Ummah is to become steadfast on the path of Taqwah of Allah• Hold fast to the rope of Allah (Quran and Sunnah)• To call the mankind to Islam and remove all obstacles that prevent the truth from reaching them. People then will choose willingly without any compulsion.
How did the first generation of Muslims do it?• Sincerity of belief in Allah and the Last Day• Seriousness in taking from the book of Allah and the Sunnah, for everything that the people need in their daily life• Sincerity in Jihad(Struggle) for the sake of Allah.• Implementing true meaning of the word "Ummah" based on Aqeedah and action with no prejudice for race, color, language, or land.
4. Does this ummah exist today?Do we take Allah as ourRabb, Malik, Protector, Support, Nourisher, UltimatePower?Do we take Khatam an nabiyya as our role model?Do we take the Qur’an and Sunnah regulations andcommands as obligatory?Do we rise above the difference of color, race, ethnicity,nationality, language, wealth, tribe and interest groups?
5. Contemporary Challenges Marginalization of family values Globalization of economy, education and culture Unipolarism and neo- colonialism in the name of globalization, modernization and westernization
5.1 Media War against Islam and the Muslims“The underlying problem for the West is not Islamicfundamentalism. It is Islam, a different civilization whosepeople are convinced of superiority of their culture andare obsessed with inferiority of their power” Samuel Huntington, The Clash of Civilization and the remaking of World Order, P217, 1997.Distortion of the basic Islamic teachings, separationbetween Din & dunya secularism, individualization,ethical relativism.
6. The current perception of the Ummah Dependency Political on the West Instability for defense Economic Social Crisis Reliance Why we Education Disunity inBackwardness lag the Ummah behind
7. Strength of the Ummah Global Highly Presence Revolutionary ComprehensivePower of Global professional Rich Natural Nuclear in all Spirit of the understanding of Faith Awakening Human Resources Capability quarters Youth Din Resource of the world
7. Abundance of Resources• According to 2008 statistics of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO, UN), Pakistan‟s world ranking in production: 1. Apricot (3rd) 2. Buffalo Milk (2nd) 3. Chickpea (3rd) 4. Cotton, lint (4th) 5. Cotton, seed (3rd) 6. Dates (5th) 7. Mango (6th) 8. Onion, dry (4th) 9. Oranges (11th) 10. Rice, paddy (11th) 11. Sugarcane (5th) 12. Tangerines, mandarin orange (9th) 13. Wheat (10th)
8. Our Role Time management I‘tisam bi Allah Production of ideas and prioritization Dissemination ofCritical study of the Human Resource message with East and the West Enhancement hikmah Personality Development Professional A knowledge-based (following excellence and Ethical work force Ijtihad uswah nabvi)
9. Our Strategy Liberation from neo-colonialist Strengthening and self-reliance Islamic education, vs. sustainability economic and politics Excellence in Institutions teachingReturn to theQur’an andSunnah
10. ConclusionSeeking Allah‟s support by following Him andHis final Prophet‟s commands, teachings anddirections
Wamataufiqi-illa-bi-Allah & Shukran June 2nd, 2011