• The origin of BISLERI lies in Italy and the brand owes its name to
its founder MR.FELICE BISLERI, an Italian entrepreneur.
In1967, BISLERI set up a plant in Bombay for bottling and
marketing actual mineral water, which did not quite work.
By1969, BISLERI wanted to exit the business and to help him out
the Chauhan’s bought the brand, intending to turn it into a soda
brand. Since then it has come a long way. Now, it owns a large
percentage of shares in the Indian market and also it has its
presence in International Water Market.
“WATER WATER EVERYWHERE BUT JUST A LITTLE THAT IS
• JOURNEY OF BISLERI
• 1969: Buys BISLERI bottled water from an Italian company, Felice
Bisleri. It was bottled in glass bottles then.
• Early-1980s: Shifts to PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) bottles. Sales
• Mid-1980s: Switches to PET bottles, which meant more
transparency and life for water.
• 1993: Sells carbonated drink brands like Thumps Up,
Gold Spot and Limca to Coca-Cola for Rs. 400 Crore.
• 1995: BISLERI launches a 500 ml bottle and sales shoot
up by400 per cent.
• 2000: Introduces the 20-litre container to bring prices
down from Rs. 10 a litre to Rs. 2 a litre.
• 1998: Introduces a tamper-proof and tamper-evident
• 2000: BIS cancels BISLERI'S license of water bottling in
Delhi since some of the bottles did not carry ISI label; the
license is restored one-and-a-half months later.
• 2002: KINLEY overtakes BISLERI. The national retail stores
audit by ORG-MARG show Kinsley’s market share at 35.1
percent compared to BISLERI’S 34.4 per cent.
• 2003: BISLERI says it plans to venture out into Europe
and America to sell bottled water.
• Bisleri was the market leader in the early
• In 1990-Parle Bisleri ltd had a 70% market
• For major players like Pepsi and Coca-Cola,
Bisleri’s market eroded.
• Bisleri launched pure and safe ad campaign.
• Bisleri was a generic brand uptil 2000.
• Present Bisleri’s distribution network
contributed to the company’s decline in
• Currently Bisleri is struggling to hold on to its
40% market share.
• Quality Standard
• Trust for brand
• Innovation in the form of following
Packaged drinking water
• Distribution system
• Experience of Mr.Chauhan (M.D of Bisleri)
• Bulk – Segment is used for households also
• Growing popularity
• The break away seal
“To provide the highest quality
product, keeping in mind all aspect
including freshness purity and safety
and making it easy available to the
consumer at very affordable price.”
By Ramesh Chauhan
(M.D of Bisleri International Pvt ltd)
• Age old Distribution System
• Reuse of bottle by local sellers and illegal
• Faults in production
• Pressure by Government Authority
• Not meeting the demand of the customer
• By 2001 the Mineral water market in India was
of Rs 500 Crore and was growing @ 40% p.a.
• Indian fitness market which is a 1,800cr & is
growing @ 13% p.a.
• Market expansion by acquiring local brands
• Expansion in Europe
• Launch of premium pack
• Change of image
• Increase in production
• Competitions from rival brands such as
Pepsi’s Aquafina & Coca Cola’s Kinley.
• Entering of new player
• Water filter manufacturers
• Illegal manufacturers
• Strong distribution channel of the other
• New government policy
1 2 3 4
• Continue to concentrate on bulk line (5, 10
and 20 Liters)
• Why PLAY SAFE? Shift position of the brand
to “Feel Fresh”
• Fitness market growing in India @ 13% p.a.
• Spend more money to strengthen the
distribution channel by implementing more
THE SWEET TASTE OF