Library research in physics: tips for new researchers
PHYS 295: Library research
UC Davis Libraries
• Find literature on your topic / background
• Do research
• Publish results
• Develop a reputation in the field
• Search a database:
– Web of Science, INSPEC
– Finding authors & times cited in Web of Science
– Review articles
– Google tricks
• Organize everything
– Export to Endnote, etc
– Export in BibTeX
• Via the VPN
• Change your settings:
– Add in UC eLinks (search for university california
– Add BibTeX export option
• Commands: AROUND(2), site=, etc.
Making your reputation:
• Make a Google scholar profile
• Get unique ids: ORCID / ResearcherID
• Know your h-Index
• Make sure your website and other online
profiles are current
• Journal reputation:
Finding a journal:
– “impact factor” – from Journal Citation Reports
– Is it a scam?
– What can you do with your own work?
– OA or not? OA funds
– Data publishing – often required!