3. A computer cannot do anything on its own. It must be instructed to do a job desired by us. The term software refers to a set of computer program, procedures, and associated documents describing the program, and how they are to be used. A software package is a group of program that solve a specific problem or perform a specific type of work
4. Software can be divided into two major categories:- (1). System software (2). Application software
5. System software is a set of one or more programs designed to control the operation and extend the processing capability of a computer system. The program which included in a system software package are called system programs Some commonly known types of system software are: (1). Operating systems:- Operating system software takes care of effective and efficient utilization of all hardware and software components of a computer system. (2). Programming language translators:- It transforms the instructions prepared by programmers in a programming language into a form that can be interpreted and executed by a computer system. (Contd..)
6. (3). Communication software:- In a network environmentcommunication software enables transfer of data and programsfrom one computer system to another.(4). Utility programs:- Utility programs are a set of programs thathelp users in system maintenance tasks, and in performing tasksof routine nature.
7. Application software is a set of one or more programs designed to solve a specific problem, or do a specific task. The programs included in an application software package are called application program. Some commonly known application software are:- (1). Word-processing software:- It make use of a computer for creating, editing, viewing, formatting, storing, retrieving, and printing documents. (2). Spreadsheet software:- Spreadsheet software is a numeric- data-analysis tool that allows us to create a kind of computerized ledger. (Contd..)
8. (3). Database software:- A database is a collection of related datastored and treated as a unit for information retrieval purposes.(4). Graphics software:- It enables us to a computer system forcreating, editing, drawings, pictures, graphs, etc.(5). Education software:- Education software allows a computerto be used as a teaching and learning tool.(6). Entertainment software:- It allows a computer to be used asan entertainment tool.
9. Without system software we cannot run the computer and without application software we cannot do the work on the computer. For running the running the computer we need software.