1. Lewis Howard Latimer The inventor for the part of a light bulb-the filament.
2. Childhood <ul><li>Latimer was born on September 2, 1848, Chelsea, Massachusetts. </li></ul><ul><li>Was the son of a former slave. </li></ul><ul><li>Latimer enjoyed school and was so good that he was able to skip a grade. </li></ul><ul><li>However at age ten, Latimer quite school to help his father earn money to support the family. </li></ul><ul><li>In 1864 Latimer joined the navy to fight in the civil war. Because he was only 16, he had to hide his age to be allowed to serve. </li></ul>
3. Barriers <ul><li>Someone had already invented the light bulb, but its filament- the glowing wire that makes light-burned out so quickly that it was not practical to use. Latimer wanted to improve the light bulb. He learned all he could about electricity. Then he experimented failing many times. </li></ul>
4. Invention <ul><li>Finally, in 1881, he invented a process for making filaments for carbon. </li></ul>
5. Death <ul><li>Latimer died at the age of 80 at his home in New York City. </li></ul>
6. Thank You!!! Thank you for watching!! Whenever your near a light bulb think about Lewis Latimer.