Welcome to Maramure s Maramure ş is one of the most beautiful counties from Romania. One of its attractions are its wooden churches. We will try to present you the oldest and the most beautiful ones.
This is one of the oldest monastic establishments in Maramure ş still in existence. Its historical, cultural and clerical importance is considerable, as the wooden church built in 1672. Is still maintained here in good condition. The Moisei Monastery was and still is the place of pilgrimage for Christians in Maramure ş . Moisei Monastery
Founded in 1923 by the priest Nicolae Gherman, in memory of his daughter, Anu ţ a it is famous for its library. This was founded by the Bishop of Maramure ş and S ă tmar, Iustinian, and contains 40,000 books. “ Saint Anna” Monastery Rohia
The Church of Dese ş ti The c hurch w hose patron is “ The Pious Paraschiva" was built in the eighteenth century .
The church of “The Archangel Saints” Ş urde ş ti The church of “The Archangel Saints” is well known due to its architecture, as well as to the impressive sizes of the tower. It was built from oak wood in 1721 by the craftsman Toma Macarie. This church is considered to be a masterpiece of the wood architecture. The murals were made by Ş tefan from Ş i ş e ş ti in 1983. T he church also owns a valuable collection of glass and wooden icons.
B â rsana Monastery B â rsana monastery on the right bank of the Iza river was built around the middle of the 16 th century. The old monastic settlement dedicated to St. Nicholas was one of the most important ones in Maramure ş considering that in 1738 it was the residence of the last Christian Orthodox bishop.
The church of “Saint Nicholas” Bogdan Vod ă The church of “Saint Nicholas” was built in 1718 on the place of a previous church which had been burnt down during the last Tartar invasion in 1717. Particularly interesting are: the entrance door; the bishop’s chair; the murals and the wood and glass icons. Notice also the belt which surrounds the church outside.
The church of “Saint Nicholas ” Bude ş ti This church was built by Nemis Ş tefan Atanasie Bude ş ti 1643. Between 1761-1762, Alexandru Ponehalsky from Berbe ş ti created some of the Wooden icons and in 1832 Iano ş Opri ş painted the church altar in Baroque style. Inside the church there are some interesting items such as: the shirt and helmet of the outlaw and local hero, Pintea Viteazul.
The church of “ Saint Nicholas ” Corne ş ti The church of “Saint Nicholas”, dates from 1767, respecting the typical plan and tehnique of the churches from Maramure ş. The value of the house of God also lies in the wooden icons, painted by Alexandru Ponehalski in 1755, and in the baroque style murals, made by the painte r Hodor Toader from Vi ş eu de Mijloc. These were his first works of t his type .
The church ”The Sleeping Madonna” Ş ieu The church “The Sleeping Madonna” built from pine, in 1760, has a verandah on the western side. The church has a beautiful collection of icons from the 17 th and 18 th century.