The building of the church was started in the 14th century by the Franciscan Order. The sanctuary and the apsis were consecrated on 23rd November, 1400.The gothic nave was finished only in 1490. The actual length of the church is 57, the height of the central nave is 12 meters.
The Big Western Gate Its deep freize with seven ogee mouldings and three quarter round roll mouldings is decorated with grapes and grapes leaves. The northern entrance is joined by a window decorated with ogee moulding. There are steps carved from stone leading to the big church gate.
The Smaller Southern Gate It cannot be seen in its original shape. It was built up with a wall in 1556 after the reformation of the church. Its portal jamb frieze is formed from a capital decorated with oak leaves. On its gable sustained by ogee mouldings there is supposedly a 16th century painting illustrating the martyrdom of St. Lenard.
The Northern Gate Unlike the smaller southern gate, the small northern gate is still used nowadays. It is decorated with wood and square shaped reliefs. It is open only during important celebrations.
The 55 m long brick building is outstanding not only because of its size but also for its beautiful construction. The external decorations around the gates and the pillars were made from stone.
When you enter the 55 m long church you can see the 22,5 m long and 9 m wide Gothic sanctuary. The original ribbed arches and arch stones of the four-part vaulting were changed during renovations between 1906 and 1907. The vaulting was replaced by wire-lattice wall and the stone ribbed arches by gypsum imitations.
The walls of the sanctuary are intersected by Gothic style pointed windows: three at the sanctuary closure and four on the southern side, ensuring a good lightning of the church interior. These Gothic shaped windows of the nave remind us of XV.th century. Because the coloured glass windows were ruined in 1601, now we can see transparent glass windows instead.
The furniture of the church was made by local joiners in the middle of the 19th century, the pews in 1835-1836. The pulpit and its crown was made by the carpenter Erdelyi Janos according to the plans of count Teleki Ferenc, the son of Teleki Samuel, founder of the famous library. In the same year the communion table was made to the order of Zalanyi Gyorgy and it is the work of a local carpenter, Bertok Gyorgy.
The Citadel-church from Tirgu Mures has been so far the only church that houses two organs. This fact has its own history. The Baroque organ in the sanctuary was built by Johannes Prause from Brasov in 1789. This monumental organ was readjusted by Transylvanian masters: Hermann Binder, Zoltán Papp and Ferenc Mihály.
Before doing so, Heidenoldendorf from Germany had donated a 100 year old organ to the church, which was put up on the sole gallery by organ-builder József Molnár from Oradea.
The church also preserves an interesting old relic: the “singing chair”, made in 1760, representing a beautiful rarity of its time.