Monuments in Kielce: St. Adalbert Church

742 views

Published on

Monuments in Kielce: St. Adalbert Church

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
742
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
193
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Monuments in Kielce: St. Adalbert Church

  1. 1. ST ADALBERT CHURCH
  2. 2. EXTERIOR <ul><li>The church, surrounded by ancient trees, is situated in St Adalbert Square, between Bodzentyńska Street and IX Wieków Kielce Avenue. </li></ul><ul><li>It is the oldest church in Kielce and the city is the only monument whose origins are connected with the pre-charter settlement. </li></ul>
  3. 3. <ul><li>The first church, made of timber, was built-up in the late 11th or early 12th century near the settlement which developed into the town of Kielce. </li></ul><ul><li>The churchyard was originally used as a cementery. </li></ul><ul><li>In 1763 the wooden church was replaced by a baroque temple founded by Józef Rogalla. </li></ul>
  4. 4. <ul><li>The church was then remarkably extended in the 1880s. </li></ul><ul><li>In the western part there is a statue of Christ as the Man of Sorrows (also called “lantern of the dead”) of 1732. </li></ul>
  5. 5. <ul><li>It is placed on a round stone pillar of a polygonal base. </li></ul><ul><li>The light entering through the openings illuminates the figure of Christ, sculpted in sandstone, which is placed inside. </li></ul><ul><li>In the main entrance there is a statue of St Adalbert, unveiled in 1997. </li></ul>
  6. 6. <ul><li>At the square in front of the church there is a preserved piece of the wall where the Germans shot the Home Army soldiers in 1943. </li></ul>
  7. 7. INTERIOR <ul><li>The church, built by the custodian Józef Rogalla, was restored in 1827. </li></ul><ul><li>The works were carried out in the years 1885-69 according to the design by Franciszek Ksawery Kowalski. </li></ul>
  8. 8. <ul><li>Inside the church there are pictures painted by Jan Styka in 1889. </li></ul><ul><li>They present “The Feeding of the Multitude” in the main altar and “St Rosalie” and “St Francis” at the top of the right altar. </li></ul><ul><li>In the western wall there is a stone portal with the foundation plate that has remained since 1763. </li></ul>

×