2. Plants and animals live together• Plants need water and sunlight to survive.• Some plants need a lot of water, they grow in wet places.• Others, like palm trees, only need a little, they grow in dry places.• It is the same for animals.
3. What is an ecosystem?• An ecosystem is a place and the living things that live there. ECOSYSTEM LIVING THINGS NON-LIVING THINGS Animals and plants Soil, rocks, water
4. Big ecosystems• Some ecosystems are big, like the savannah.• Grasses, bushes and trees live on the savannah.• There also many animals like zebras, gnu, hyenas or lions.
5. Small ecosystems• Others ecosystems are small, like a pond.• In a pond we can find many animals like frogs, dragonflies or snails.• There are also water plants.
6. Food in an ecosystem• Plants make their own food.• Herbivorous animals eat leaves,plants, fruits.• Carnivorous animals eat other animals.• This is a food chain.
7. Other interactions• Some plants live on other plants.• Many birds build their nests in trees.• Many animals like zebras or sardines, live in groups to defend themselves or to find food.
8. Forests are ecosystems• The biggest plants are trees but there are also bushes and grasses.• Insects are the biggest group of invertebrates. Spiders or worms are also invertebrates.• There are also vertebrates like owls, rabbits or deers.
9. The sea is an ecosystem• Seaweed is the most common plant in the sea.• Many invertebrates, like jellyfish or mussels, live in the sea.• Fish are the biggest group or vertebrates but there are also mammals, like dolphins or whales and reptiles like turtles.
10. • The sea is the biggest ecosystem in the Earth.• There are three main zones in the sea: - The coast - The high sea - The deep sea