5. Few weeks back I did a talk at #ALE2011 IN BERLIN -‐ A SYMBOLIC PLACE OF FREEDOM.
6. When we’re talking about oﬀshoring -‐ THE WALL IS THERE.
7. subcontracting distributed dev customer-contractor equal level relationships of authority across all teams outsourcing transfer of work to external contractor offshoring team extension .. to another country employees of another company are integrated into onshore nearshoring .. to a neighboring country
8. subcontracting distributed dev customer-contractor equal level relationships of authority across all teams outsourcing offshoring team extension nearshoringthey do it for us down there we do it with them there
9. “Oﬀshoring shiAing work to a distant organizaCon in order to reduce producCon costs”
10. A place where you can fail your projects at lower costs
11. Oﬀshoring has hidden costs
12. Offshore Software Development …works with scrum inefficient cheap risky works terrible slow #$%^& boring scalable
17. Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
18. Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
19. Relationships Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
20. Parts of the wholetoolsprocessesrelationships
21. Parts of the whole✓ tools✓ processes relationships
22. Parts of the whole✓ tools✓ processes relationships are the roots
23. BUILDING A TEAM is like building a family1. dating 2. moving inSTAFF UP START UP4. having kids 3. getting flowSCALE UP SPEED UP
24. RELATIONSHIPS are starting here dating moving inSTAFF UP START UP SCALE UP SPEED UP Alexey, tell us a story!
25. So why don’t start shoreless?
26. do first sprints togethertake the team onsite do short sprints to generate small winscelebrate oftendo parties not retrospectives stay with your team so that they can feel your culture
27. Is it expenses or investments?
28. RELATIONSHIPS are starting here dating moving inSTAFF UP START UP there are diﬀerent kinds of relaConships including “a kind of relaConship”
29. One kind of relationships customer contractor it’s coming! yes, sir!
30. Power Distance Index by Professor Geert Hofstede Sweden:31 Russia:93 USA:40 India:77 Brazil:69 hQp://www.kwintessenCal.co.uk/map/hofstede-‐power-‐distance-‐index.html
31. Another kind of relationships Who are those people you’d do everything you can for? Who are those people you’d gladly be keeping you commitments for?
32. So why don’t make friends?
33. build friendly atmosphereface-to-face meetings & pairing play as a team group activities over “I decided”don’t expect resultsfocus on relationship and learning go for lunches together know what your new people feel
34. Is it expenses or investments?
35. Treat your offshore team as if they were:1) your spouse 2) your friends 3) your ???
36. offices of offshore vendors may look differently
37. But deep in their nature they all are like this
38. If our teams were kids what hiring would look like? Alexey, tell us an example!
39. don’t delegate hiringcome offsite for interviews don’t hire people you don’t like choose hires 1) as people, 2) then as professionalshires will help to hirehire a local leader first then keep hiring together test people by “moving them in” make sure people fit into your culture and share your values
40. Is it expenses or investments?
41. Treat your offshore team as if they were1) your spouse 2) your friends & 3) your kids