On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Careers of the Future: Our Student World http://www.convergemag.com/story.php?catid=231
Alternative Vehicle Developers
– example -The Ford Reflex , released in early 2006, is a car for the future: delivers 65 miles per gallon; made of synthetic and regenerated materials; equipped with safety belts integrated with inflatable bags to deploy during a collision; and uses solar panels. At the University of Northwestern Ohio , students can pursue a career as an alternative vehicle developer.
Biometric Identification Specialist
- example - develop the technology to identify people based on an eye, palm or voice scan. West Virginia University offers a Bachelor of Science in Biometric Systems. This technology is already used in Israel and Palestine Border control.
will examine numbers to forecast future events, explain business processes and create predictive models.
- example - These individuals are studying rocks from other planets to learn about their formation and evolution. Studies thus far have shown potential for future human life on Mars. Starting points for a career in experimental petrology include Arizona State University's School of Earth and Space Exploration and the School of Earth & Space Science at the University of California, Los Angeles .
example - Careers are found in companies such as Boston Dynamics , specializing in robotic engineering and human simulation. Boston Dynamics has created BigDog , a quadruped robot capable of walking, running and climbing rough terrain. As part of a research project for the Department of Defense , BigDog can run 4mph, climb 35 degree slopes and carry 340 pounds.The Carnegie Mellon University Robotics Institute researches and develops robot technology for industrial and government use.
Space Architect - A free-floating environment is just one of the factors that space architects at the Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture consider. SICSA is part of the University of Houston's space architecture master's program.
Sustainability Coordinator - example - Tasks would mainly focuses on environmental care, but can include social and political needs as well. Arizona State University offers graduate degrees, Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in sustainability. Students graduate with an expertise in environmental economics, ethics, earth-systems management and sociological issues.
- careers in teleportation may soon be taking shape -- with field specialists required. A teleport specialist will need to know how to work a machine that can analyze billions of atoms in a person's body and recreate the individual in another location. Cutting-edge programs are the University of Queensland's Australian Research Center for Quantum Atom Optics and the University of Rochester's Department of Physics .
Weather Modification Police
– example - Weather modification police will need to ensure that people who shoot rockets containing silver iodine into the air -- a way to provoke rainfall from passing clouds -- are licensed to do so. Villages in rural China have already taken to inducing pregnant rain clouds, resulting in more rain in certain areas than others.
– example - These are the people who bring you energy. They measure land areas, air speeds, turbine sizes and the pitch of the blades. Iowa Lakes Community College offers a Wind Energy and Turbine Technology program for students interested in an expanding career field, as alternative energies climb in popularity and affordability.
Video from England on 21 st Century Science http://www.21stcenturyscience.org/support/voices-from-the-classroom,1561,NA.html
21 st Century Science Resource Samples
Science Blog http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/science/
River City Project – Virtual World – Active Worlds http://muve.gse.harvard.edu/rivercityproject/
Science 21 st Century Lesson Plans http://powerup.tie.wikispaces.net/file/view/21st+cent+science+lesson+example.pdf
14-16 year old classes at York http://www.21stcenturyscience.org/
Open Science Wiki http://science.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Science Podcast – This Week in Science http://www.twis.org/
Mind and Machine Module http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/CCD_NEW/ie_index.html
Department of Energy - Science in the 21 st Century http://www.science.doe.gov/Science_21st_Century/index.html
http://www.epa.gov/recyclecity/gameintro.htm Dumptown Recycling Game
http://www.eduweb.com/portfolio/designsatellite/ Design your own Satellite
http:// www.aip.org/dbis/APS/stories/17123.html New Life to an old game – Plasma Paddles
14!!! 21 st Century States – Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisianna, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin and West Virginia . http://21stcenturyskills.org/route21/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=35
http://www.texasscientists.org/ Getting ready to join.
http://www.jsmf.org/apply/ Grants for 21 st Century Learning in Science
http://www.jsmf.org/apply/ Oxford University’s 21 st Century Science Resources for K-12 students.
Further Resources to Explore
http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=21535&fID=4838 - video
Stay Connected with resources at http://delicious.com/dembe01/science