2. Intro Peter Pouliot, CISSP PPouliot@microsoft.com IRC/Skype:primeminsterp Sr. Engineer in Microsoft’s Open Source Technology Center.
3. Summit Revisted: What? Microsoft is working to restore and enhance Hyper-V support in OpenStack Microsoft is providing dedicated resources to support ongoing OpenStack on Hyper-V efforts Current development efforts focused on Hyper-V features with Essex and beyond
4. Summit Revisted: Why Hyper-V? One of the founding principles of OpenStack was Hypervisor Ubiquity Allows enterprises to utilize existing infrastructure, tools, and in-house expertise they already have. Customer and partner demand is there It provides an enterprise OS running a private cloud that is interoperable and expandable into public cloud spaces Allows for potential System Center Integration points
5. What we’ve been working on? Python32 based service Start/Stop VMs Initial Glance integration Resize/Rescue/Pause/Suspend Resume/Host- Guest Info Reporting coming soon Silent installer Installation instructions Jenkins infrastructure and CI Testing Test integration planning Ongoing feature planning for Folsom and beyond.
6. Improving for Folsom Additional VM functions Live Migrations Volume support Snapshots Support Nova-network on Hyper-V compute node Non-flat Networking image conversion And more…
7. Windows Server “2012” is coming…Lots of additional opportunities to add and improve for Folsom!
8. Let’s Recap This is officially a Microsoft sponsored Project!! Dedicated MS staff to support OpenStack/Hyper-V efforts Dedicated Hardware/Network resources Initial set of features improved over previous Hyper-V functionality CI build out begining Test integration planning finalizing.
9. Post Summit additions Nova branch being created to ease our integration into Folsom. Phase one planning is finished. Infrastructure deployment to support CI effort beginning. Weekly IRC meetings: Tuesdays 9:00am EST Freenode: #openstack-hyper-v First community patch submitted to enable “enlighted” devices for VMs. https://github.com/pnavarro/nova/commit/6bfb07 39323c846740c49c51292b1d06101d10eb
10. Join the Movement! Lets make Hyper-V a premiere hypervisor in Folsom Developers willing to work on extending the Hyper-V driver for nova-compute Developers willing to work on at least porting nova-network to Windows Server “8” Users willing to beta test new code, prioritize feature requests, and contribute overall feedback With a little momentum this can take off!
11. Where to get it? http://wiki.openstack.org/Hyper-V Will be updated as new installer and configuration information is available All other resources will stem from this one page for unity
12. How to get involved? Find one of us to chat if you have questions Check the wiki for links to etherpad/forums etc. for discussion Email us: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org